Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Rear Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 08:55 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wheel Bearings

(MY99 UK Turbo2000)
Im pretty sure i have a rear wheel bearing on the way out. There is a noticable low frequency whine coming from the rear of the car, it's most noticeable at about 40mph but seems to not be so loud at speeds above or below that.
I have suspected tyre noise before as i have the awful rock solid Avon ZZ1's on it but it seems loder that the usual tyre noise now. Pretty sure it's not gearbox as seems to be coming from the rear of the car and carries on when free wheeling as well. Also pretty sure it's not the rear diff as this was replaced under warranty about 18 months ago.
Any suggestions?

So assuming that it is a rear wheel bearing i assume it's probably best practice to replace both rear sets. Where is the cheapest place to get them from ?, as i have heard that subaru want an arm and a leg for a set. And is it a difficult job, would i need any other nonreusable bits such as split pins etc.
Not too bad with a spanner have done most of the work on this car myself but have only done wheel bearings on an old polo before, just after a bit of advice.

Thanks

Dan.

Last edited by Danny Boy; 11 May 2004 at 08:59 PM.