Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Have I done the right thing ??

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2004, 01:52 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have I done the right thing ??

Ive ordered the parts to modify my 03 wrx.

Ive gone for a H&S downpipe, Cat Pipe and a Ninja back box. Im leaving the standard centre in that has just a resonator section (the 2nd part of the centre sections). The Up-pipe will also be left standard, I am led to believe this has a cat in it.

Will also be replacing the panel filter and boost solenoid for a Bob Rawle remap.

My concern is, What affect will leaving the 2nd centre pipe in with the resonator. I know replacing the down and cat pipe will remove the 2 cats from the turbo back. but will leaving the resonator affect perfomance drastically ?. Im leaving it in to make in-cabin noise a little bit more bearable.

My other concern is the cat in the up-pipe, I remember someone posting about advice from g-force motorsport, a cat left in the up-pipe and the rest being decatted could cause the cat to brake up and enter the turbo. Scoobyworld said replacing the up-pipe is circa 5 hours work and the majority of people do not do it, so most new-age cars still have the cat in the up-pipe. has anybody actually had a cat failure and destroyed a turbo/ engine through this.

anybody want a stab at a bhp / torque figure
My03 WRX
HS Downpipe
HS Cat Pipe
(standard resonator section)
NinJa Backbox
JR Filter
3 port BS

Was aiming for around 280bhp, is that OTT ?.
Old 10 May 2004, 03:38 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The up pipe should be about another hour on top of that needed to do the downpipe as you're already most of the way.
As you've got a new car then siezed nuts! shouldn't be an issue but have a few studs and nuts for the turbo ready.
Up-pipe removal can be seen on http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194

Nick