Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

In the middle of changing a decat pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2004, 11:21 AM
Graybr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the middle of changing a decat pipe

Ive got a MY 96 wrx currently in the middle of removing the cat (nightmare) what did you use to get to the two bottom nuts on the D/Pipe?

On the D/pipe itself is a lead into the cat (cat temp? ,iPavlo blanked off the hole in the H & S pipe so presume its not essensial)-did you disconnect it at the top by the airbox or at the bottom (well and truly rusted in)

I take it you cant remove the bottom heat sheild until the D/Pipe is off - i hear its not really essential to have on (only the top due to fluids etc and heat soak)

Any help/suggestions are more than welcome- so far all the nuts bolts have come off easily.

Cheers G
Old 08 May 2004, 02:03 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

I used a u-shaped ring spanner to get at the bottom two nuts , the lead coming off is the cat temp sensor wire as you noticed there is a connection under the air box un plug it there it does not bring on the cell light .

Mark
Old 08 May 2004, 02:58 PM
Graybr
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark,

Luckily the cavalry arrived in the form of a mechanic m8, now finished and tested - wow what a difference
Old 08 May 2004, 04:20 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear it, it can be a nightmare of a job i had to cut both the bottom nuts with a dremel , i have also ported out the oem headers on my 93 wrx and that made a big difference to spool up , they don't take long to take off , and then port them out to match gaskets as there is quite a lip and then re-fitted using same gaskets with exhaust paste . It brings boost in about 500rpm earlier i get about 1.1 bar at 3000rpm now . Also i lagged the down pipe to reduce under bonnet temps , as the intercooler is just above . I have also fitted a my 00 intercooler which has helped as well .

Mark