Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Where is the limiter on an 03 WRX? (gearing)

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2004, 03:32 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the limiter on an 03 WRX? (gearing)

Is it 7500 rpm??

Also does anybody know if the gearing is different from a bugeye to a blobeye? As a friend of mine believes that his bugeye hits the limiter in 3rd at 104....but i dont think my 03 will top a ton in 3rd?

Any thoughts?

Neil.
Old 07 May 2004, 03:36 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

i'm lucky if i get past 80 in my jdm my93 classic!
Old 07 May 2004, 03:39 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

God bless the UK

even though yours probably accelerates like stink :P ill be faster in the end!!! give me a minute!
Old 07 May 2004, 04:13 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

so does anyone know? GM? where are ya buddy?
Old 07 May 2004, 04:25 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Gearing, to the best of my knowledge, has been the same all the way through the classic UK turbos and WRXes Neil. Couldn't tell you for sure at what engine speed the cutout is, as the rule is always if you're anywhere near it, you're changing up far too late.

As far as small difference in speeds between your car on the limiter and your mate's, it could as easily as anything else be his speedo overreading more than yours does!
Old 07 May 2004, 04:54 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

My MY02 will deffo do 105 (speedo & GPS checked) in 3rd it will just do 60 in second but thats hitting the limiter which is just about 7800-7900 i wouldnt however fancy trying to get to the limiter in 6th im sure something would go bang big time
Old 07 May 2004, 05:05 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, i was thinking about the potential for the speedo's to be out myself, which they invariably are.....oh and incidentlaly ive never hit the limiter or even gone in to the red with my car which i am rather proud of

The whole reason for this query in the first place is that he mentioned to me that when we did a 1/4 mile together he didnt change from 3rd, but i changed in to 4th....personally i believe that i am doing it the best way as i am up shifting at around 6300 in to 4th and thusly going back down to the heart of the torque range, he, on the other hand would have very little torque that high up the rev range.

Would you agree??

Incidentally this isnt a regular thing, ive only ever gone to one 1/4 meeting so im fairly sure my car is up to it

Trending Topics

Old 07 May 2004, 05:12 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

I would expect that for a 0-60 time NOT shifting would get u the quickest time............however the 1/4 mile is a different story and would also depend on how wel u started..... if you got a blinding start i would expect HAVING to change as the limiter would come in BEFORE the 1/4 mile mark???

edited also to add ive just realised your talking bout a wrx damm im an idiot
Old 07 May 2004, 05:19 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
The whole reason for this query in the first place is that he mentioned to me that when we did a 1/4 mile together he didnt change from 3rd, but i changed in to 4th....personally i believe that i am doing it the best way as i am up shifting at around 6300 in to 4th and thusly going back down to the heart of the torque range, he, on the other hand would have very little torque that high up the rev range.

Would you agree??
Depends. The only way to find out for certain would be to do some accurate testing.

There are a number of variables, not least the aggression with which you change gear. Obviously the less time lost with the clutch down the better, and there's a compromise to be struck between this and keeping the engine in its optimal speed range.
Old 07 May 2004, 05:20 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

yes sir, you are a boob j/k quite surprised you said you could do 60 in second in an sti...although you did say you were at the limiter! im not! :P

i think the reason i did change up when i did it was because a) I did have a blinding start (hence 13.9 ) and b) the red line was fast aproaching in 3rd.

Im just not one to go in to the red in a car! no neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!
Old 07 May 2004, 05:22 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Depends. The only way to find out for certain would be to do some accurate testing.

There are a number of variables, not least the aggression with which you change gear. Obviously the less time lost with the clutch down the better, and there's a compromise to be struck between this and keeping the engine in its optimal speed range.

I would really like to have it tested with accurate timing gear and everything, just out of curiosity more than anything else, i know my car isnt supposed to be the fastest out there, far from it in fact, but its mine and i like it!

Just how accurate are these off the shelf GPS jobbies? does road angel do speed and whatnot?
Old 07 May 2004, 05:26 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

neilo yep i stand by my figures but realised you were talking bout wrx and i was talkin bout MY02sti grrrrrr im just not up to these late nights anymore

howevere i have a gps unit in my car which does record travelling speed and updates 3 or 4 times a second it can also me configured to show highest speed hence run car to redline and hey presto figures are generated .......... however im sure its NOT as accurate as proper timing gear but it'll do for me..
Old 07 May 2004, 05:27 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

what one do you have? if you dont mind me asking.....it could be a useful addition
Old 07 May 2004, 05:33 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

I have an MY02 sti bought from a UK dealer
Old 07 May 2004, 05:58 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

I meant the GPS jobby :P i dont need another car
Old 07 May 2004, 06:02 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh sorry im in stupid mode again....... its the gps unit thats links my sat nav system (vdo dayton) and timing unit Gtech Performance meter the gps is part of the sat nav but can be wet to various update modes im sure the road angel does the same u can set the unit to warn u when u get to a certain speed and safety to boot too
Old 08 May 2004, 12:08 PM
scottywrx
Scooby Regular

Neil ....

GPS is supposed to be far more accurate but only at steady speed (the update rate on mine is too slow to measure accel). On my IPAQ GPS a reading of 65 mph results in a speedo reading just under 70MPH .

At the same time the ECU is telling me its 67MPH ! ...

I need to find a friendly cop with a laser gun (calibrated of course ) to get some benchmark figures to see which one of the 3 is more accurate !!!

however based on gear ratios it should be possible @7100 to be 103mph but I need to verify my figures ... anyone help ...

MY01 ..... WRX .... EURO..... (actually my car was manufactured in 2000 !!!! but its a bug-eye model )

Gear Ratio in 3rd = 0.972
Final Drive Ratio = 3.90

Scott