Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Noises from ?? rear diff ??

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2004, 04:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Noises from ?? rear diff ??

At speeds below 40, my UK '98 car makes a sort of rumbling sound, not loud but audible, sort of grrrrrrr grrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrr grrrrrrrrr, getting faster, the faster the car is moving.

At speeds above 40 it becomes a low pitched whine.

It varies with vehicle speed, not with engine speed, and doesn't get any louder.

Ought I to worry?

What might it be?

Thanks, Alcazar

Please, guys, no jokes about animals caught under/in/on the car, thanks:
Old 04 May 2004, 05:11 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, no jokes about animals caught under the car. Is it possible you have some Slovenian illegals hanging on under there?

Could be a number of things. Are you sure it's coming from the central area of the back of the car? Could be a wheel bearing, or even, concievably, a brake pad or shoe sticking on. If it was gearbox/centre diff related, noises should be emanating from under the centre console rather than behind you, so it should be fairly easy to eliminate those from your enquiries.

Other possibility (again dependent on exactly where it's coming from) is the centre propshaft bearing.

If you haven't done so already, it'd probably be worth taking a trip sat in the back seat area of the car with someone else driving. Would be even better to do it with the rear seat squab and back removed. This should clue you in fairly accurately to where in the car the noise is coming from, and once you know that, you're well on the way to isolating it.

If you are sure it's coming from the rear diff area, next diagnostic/precautionary step could be to drain the oil and refill with fresh oil. Make sure you catch what comes out in a measuring jug to see how much was in there.

Should be almost exactly 800cc, so if you get significantly less out, that might clue you in, and note the general appearance of the oil once it's out. If it's full of little metal filings, again likely to be QED.
Old 04 May 2004, 09:09 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bet would be rear wheel bearings.

David API
Old 05 May 2004, 10:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Thanks for the replies mates, neither fills me with glee, as both sound nice and expensive:

Will get wifey to drive it tonite when she comes home, with me crawling about in the back:

Oh well, I can always have the repair for my birthday, which is today! Some present, eh?

Alcazar
Old 05 May 2004, 09:12 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 03WRX had a whinning noise. Appeared to come from the front of teh car but was actually the rear diff. Had a new one fitted 2 weeks ago and the problem's cured.

The noise was very noticable with the car on ramps and wheels spinning over a wide speed range. On the road you could pnly really hear it between 61 and 65 mph.

Hope this helps.
Old 05 May 2004, 09:23 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Im getting my uk box and dif taken out tomorrow !! mail me if you want a cheap isshhh dif , alan.
Old 05 May 2004, 09:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

what box are you putting in alan

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2004, 09:31 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

same as U