Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch change without removing gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2004, 10:10 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch change without removing gearbox?

Ive changed a scooby clutch before,by doing the usual remove gearbox ect procedure.
Is it possible to change it by just splitting the engine/box and moving the engine forward,leaving the box in place as you only really need about 4/5 inches gap to remove the clutch from above.If this is possible,then it would cut the clutch change time down by a huge margin,and not so much neck wrenching time under the car.

easy
Old 02 May 2004, 10:34 AM
clarky1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would it not be easier to just drop the box, by the time you have done all the work for splitting the engine and box, personally i would just drop the box out for what its worth
Old 02 May 2004, 12:11 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Drop the box. Only 2 bolts hold the intercooler on . 4 hold gearbox on . Leave down pipe on ,but remove centre section. Remove botton studs that hold gearbox on . Propshaft 2 bolts. Cross member 4 bolts. Drop bottom joints to allow removal off drive shafts after knocking roller pins out. Jack under front of Engine as its front heavy. Trolley jack under Gearbox to support it. Also if i have to do mine again i will drain oil out of box before i start. 2 bolts for starter. Allen key to remove plug for access to clutch cross shaft. When putting it back together put clutch release bearing on the gearbox shaft. insert clutch arm through top of box and locate in the bearing. Offer up gearbox to Engine and tighten up till u have 25 thou of clearance all around the bell housing ie ( even gap ) give clutch fork that sticks out of the top of the gearbox one solid push , pushing it back towards the bulkhead. You should here a definate click at it clicks into pressure plate.. Bolt it all up again and hey presto job done.

Dont rush it or cut corners. Do it once and do it right !

1 , It stops mess on floor.

2, About as good a time u will get to change oil in the box. Darn site easier with intercooler off to replenish box after job done.

3, Get yourself some wedges cut out off timber incase its stuck on the Dowels when u try to part it
Old 02 May 2004, 12:12 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Darn didn,t see you had done it before. Sorryyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 02 May 2004, 07:36 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

LOL--No worries

The reason i ask is because i dont have access to any ramps/lifts ect.
When i was doing my uppipe i had to jack the engine up to gain access,upon further investigation i noticed that there would be enough room to move the whole block forward about 5 inches after removing the fans, which would be plenty enough room ,abeit a bit fiddly, to remove the clutch and/or flywheel.

Just wondered if any home mechanics have managed to do it this way before,because from what i can see from a first glimpse, it could possably be a heck of a lot easier doing it this way for us DIY boys.

easy
Old 02 May 2004, 10:46 PM
Scooby Regular

Then there is the essential bit of centering the driven plate before you pop it all back together!
having done mine 2 times now it is a bitch of a job, and those 2 dowls that hold (weld) the box to the engine will test ANYBODIES patience.....
Glad I'm not a Subaru mechanic.
Must admit it is better after the first time, just don't want to practice too often!
911's are so much easier..........