Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

clutch done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2004, 09:40 PM
LOZWRXMY94
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i changed my clutch on my 94 wrx, it wasnt as hard as expected, only prob being wiggling the bitch back in. took the advise of 911 and bought an alignment tool from halfords,it saved a lot of messing about. it took 16 and half hours from start to finish, we did it over sat and sun, i did have the bonus of having a mate being an ex mechanic although hed never touched an impreza before.
cheers for all the help dudes.
Old 27 April 2004, 12:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done and agree the box going back on is the hardest bit.. took me and the father inlaw about 15hours.. but at the end of the first day with the gearbox refusing to go back on I was ready to kick the thing off the axle stands. Next morning more relaxed removed the box again and carefully lined it up and it went straight back on.
Old 27 April 2004, 01:01 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

So do you leave the engine in place and drop the gearbox or t'other way round?
Old 27 April 2004, 01:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,

You can do it either way but I dropped the gearbox and I suspect Loz will have done too.

Some people say that it is quicker to lift the engine out but I thoiught it seemed too much like hard work and I don;t own an engine lift (yet)..
Old 27 April 2004, 06:05 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting my box back on the other 'weekend' took 6 attempts to line it all up. Pig of a job and very frustrating.
J Banks talks of removing the 2 lower studs and using bolts instead, this i will try when I have to do it again, not for a very long time yet I hope....
Old 27 April 2004, 06:52 PM
LOZWRXMY94
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
So do you leave the engine in place and drop the gearbox or t'other way round?
I dropped the box.it is tricky ****, took the midle sction of the exhaust off and left the front pipe on, i now wish id took it off as it gets in the way, but never mind we live and we learn eh!
Old 27 April 2004, 07:02 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

I watched a mechanic do a clutch in a legacy the other day in a hour and and twenty minutes, from running into the garage to running out again. Easiest way by far is to lift the engine out (with the rad attached). disconnect the heater pipes and put a piece of spare pipe in a "u" between the pipes coming off the back of the block and you don't have to drain the coolant system. Unbolt the power steering pump and lift that off complete, unbolt the exhaust manifold and leave that in place. Obviously this is a lot easier if you have a car lift, an engine hoist and years of experience!
Old 27 April 2004, 07:35 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Getting my box back on the other 'weekend' took 6 attempts to line it all up. Pig of a job and very frustrating.
All down to the way it's supported at the end of the day. I've made an adapter that locates firmly under the centre of balance of the gearbox and fits into the platform of my trolley jack. The 'box is firm enough that it can't possibly fall off, and should be at pretty much the right angle. There's still enough free movement in the adapter and the jack that I can tweak it to get it lined up with the engine. Once it's in the ballpark, just pulling the whole thing forward on the jack wheels finishes the job.

I wouldn't say it makes gearbox removal and refitting a pleasurable job, but it does make it a trouble (and frustration) free experience, even working on my own.

J Banks talks of removing the 2 lower studs and using bolts instead
It's an idea, but not one I'd advocate. In my view the studs help you get the thing all lined up as it's going on. Without them, you are, to a certain extent, fishing in the dark when trying to line the shaft/clutch boltholes and pegs up all at pretty much the same time.
Old 27 April 2004, 08:06 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Taking the studs out allows a bit more manoueverability between engine and box when you're all struggling to get the box back in.
Once the box is in place the studs are screwed back in easily after you have put a couple of bolts in elsewhere to keep the thing from trying to come back out again.

Alan
Old 27 April 2004, 09:41 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

I got that tip from alan years ago at the donno. national day
Old 27 April 2004, 10:38 PM
Scooby Regular

Before I started the job, i invested in a Draper gearbox jack, solid and easy to move, to the mm, even with the full weight on it, an absolute god-send.
Doing this job on your own is a real pain and without a ramp verging on dangerous without the Draper jack. £80 well spent
Old 28 April 2004, 04:29 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

I got that tip from alan years ago at the donno. national day
Ahh..the infamous donno national day. wouldn't mind going back to one again.

And if i recall correctly someone who used to own a scooby created a bit of a rucuss that day with his driving!! (and i brought him down to that event!!) lol Ahh..the memories....
Old 28 April 2004, 12:21 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

And if i recall correctly someone who used to own a scooby created a bit of a rucuss that day with his driving!! (and i brought him down to that event!!) lol Ahh..the memories....
Who was that?

I remember chatting to you and someone for a while..

Pat's bonnet is one thing I remember

David