Had new down pipe fitted. Probs!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2004, 06:37 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Had new down pipe fitted. Probs!!

Hi all
Had a seconhand magnex down pipe fitted and when the Doreen picked it up, the check light was on all the way home and when it was in third it starts juddering! Whats happened?
I have changed my standard 1993 ecu to a 1995 wrx RA one? Will this make any differance? It wasnt happening this morning before the pipe was fitted. Also, i can now hear the turbo spooling. Is this ok? I just drove the car round from the back of the house to the front, and the light didnt come on then. I have now disconected the battery to do a reset.

Thanks everyone

Johnny
Old 24 April 2004, 07:04 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

turbo noise is normal.

the other problem could be a damaged Lambda sensor when it was removed from the old zorst.
Old 24 April 2004, 07:16 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
turbo noise is normal.

the other problem could be a damaged Lambda sensor when it was removed from the old zorst.
My 1993 wrx didnt have a sensor in the pipe, mine has it on the exhaust bit at the front lower part of the engine. The pipe had a port for the sensor but i have plugged it.

Johnny
Old 24 April 2004, 08:38 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

It wasnt happening this morning before the pipe was fitted.
Why not change the ecu back to your original one and go from there then?
Old 24 April 2004, 09:51 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Why not change the ecu back to your original one and go from there then?
By doing that i go back to a por fuel map and lower output. I will take the down pipe off tomorrow and sell it i think

Johnny
Old 24 April 2004, 10:43 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Ah sorry, missread your first post, thought you said it was the same before the pipe was fitted, doh!.

In that case, changing the downpipe shopuldn't make it run badly, as you've pointed out o2 sensor is not in the downpipe on that year (as someone suggested), there is nothing there that would cause a CEL, only sensor in the 93's d/p is the cat on fire sensor which you can leave unplugged to no effect anyway.

I'd see how it goes after the reset. Maybe you disturbed something else when you were doing the d/p change?.

Have you plugged the cel plugs and looked for a fault code?

Don't take the downpipe off mate, stick with it, as I said on that MY there is nothing directly related to the d/p that would cause any poor running, another prob has occured when you've changed the d/p, you must of disturbed something, or not plugged something in you may have unplugged?.
Old 24 April 2004, 10:51 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

does your speedo still work? the ecu reads of the speedo and if it has been disconnected or damaged when the downpipe was fitted this could be your problem.(the engine goes into limp home mode)
Stick with the down pipe,when its running right you will feel the benefits!!

Last edited by quicksprint; 26 April 2004 at 08:09 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2004, 10:51 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Ah sorry, missread your first post, thought you said it was the same before the pipe was fitted, doh!.

In that case, changing the downpipe shopuldn't make it run badly, as you've pointed out o2 sensor is not in the downpipe on that year (as someone suggested), there is nothing there that would cause a CEL, only sensor in the 93's d/p is the cat on fire sensor which you can leave unplugged to no effect anyway.

I'd see how it goes after the reset. Maybe you disturbed something else when you were doing the d/p change?.

Have you plugged the cel plugs and looked for a fault code?

Don't take the downpipe off mate, stick with it, as I said on that MY there is nothing directly related to the d/p that would cause any poor running, another prob has occured when you've changed the d/p, you must of disturbed something, or not plugged something in you may have unplugged?.
Do you have any idea what it might be? I paid a garage (back hand) to fit it. They have done loads of work for me , no probs. There is no heat wrap on it and not sure if they put a new gaket on. Will that matter?

Johnny
Old 25 April 2004, 12:48 AM
wrrjones
Scooby Regular

which check light is ...is it the cat light ..? ...chris

www.ccsperformance.com
Old 25 April 2004, 09:06 AM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

No, it comes up with check engine in the bottom right hand corner of the dash.
I went for a drive it it a moment ago after resetting the ecu over night. I let it idle for 5 minutes untill the temp gauge was half way and was running really well, better than before. Went for a short drive and about 1 mile into it, the light came on so turned round and drove home real slow. Stopped on the drive and its idle was very poor. Rocking from side to side, so turned the engine straight off.
Old 25 April 2004, 09:45 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

you sure the decat hasnt increased the boost enough to blow a pipe off sumwhere?
Old 25 April 2004, 09:53 AM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
you sure the decat hasnt increased the boost enough to blow a pipe off sumwhere?
Not that i can see. I had the intercooler of and everything this morning looking for something not right. What could it be? Where shal i look?
I started a new thread about moving the lambda sensoe from the headers to the down pipe. What about that? My car has a 95 ecu fitted and its a 93 wrx saloon.
Old 25 April 2004, 05:54 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny sti
Not that i can see. I had the intercooler of and everything this morning looking for something not right. What could it be? Where shal i look?
I started a new thread about moving the lambda sensoe from the headers to the down pipe. What about that? My car has a 95 ecu fitted and its a 93 wrx saloon.
Hi all. Its sorted. The speedo cable was disconnected and was causing the car to go mental for some reason. All is ok and now runs so much better. Maybe i will get some litte flames popping out the back of the car!!
Old 25 April 2004, 07:50 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 points to quicksprint

Glad you got i sorted.
I take it your pleased you kept the DP on now
Old 26 April 2004, 08:08 AM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Can i cash in my 10 points?
Old 26 April 2004, 02:09 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dyney
10 points to quicksprint

Glad you got i sorted.
I take it your pleased you kept the DP on now
TO RIGHT!!
Thanks to everyone for the help. Add another 0 to the points!! Not sure what you get for 100 points, think theres something in the fridge on its way out you can have!!
One other question all, i think Pavlo answered it for me on another thread but since fitting the down pipe its all very tinny/rattling from that area. Is it ok and am i right in thinking that wraping it should sort it out?

Thanks again

Johnny
Old 26 April 2004, 02:58 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found there is a certain tinnyness when revving the engine a little, and when pootling around in 1st and 2nd gear. Wrapping downpipe certainy helped make this pretty much non evident, and I'm by no means the first to do it.

You do get the heatshields failing around the bolt holes, then rattling, although they are harder to sort out. Much more of a rattle sound though.

Paul
Old 26 April 2004, 05:15 PM
Turbo Herbie
Scooby Regular

I've got the same tinny sound on my MY93 with the same dp. I was planning to wrap it but I've just got used to it now.
There again I am lazy..
Old 26 April 2004, 05:19 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pavlo
I found there is a certain tinnyness when revving the engine a little, and when pootling around in 1st and 2nd gear. Wrapping downpipe certainy helped make this pretty much non evident, and I'm by no means the first to do it.

You do get the heatshields failing around the bolt holes, then rattling, although they are harder to sort out. Much more of a rattle sound though.

Paul
Yeah, the heat shield is fine now. When i had the ic out on sunday i replaced and tightened up the shield bolts. I was told Halfords sell the wrap. Is it any good and how much will i need to wrap it with?

Johnny
Old 26 April 2004, 07:36 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Header heatshield rattles like crazy on mine, must change over to the gruppe-s header sitting in the shed for the last 6/12.

Mark