Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Power Mods with Std ECU

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2004, 01:24 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Mods with Std ECU

In a bid to break 300 hp with my '97 JDM Sti's standard ECU (read cheaply) I have formed the following plan.

Current

Stay with 440 injectors as fitted as std to '97 JDM Sti.
Water Injection (.4mm jet triggered at .8 bar)

Planned:

Fit Walbro 225 lpm fuel pump.
Fit SX Performance FPR - to prevent the deadly lean running may need to run marginally higher FR pressure.
Fit Decat.
Fit Direct Induction.
Use MBC to raise boost to 1.35 bar (close to VF23's limitof 1.38 bar).
Possibly Fit Modified Fuel rail - to prevent lean running on cylinder 2.

I think I have everything covered here - the main concerns being DET (hence W/I) and possible rise in FR pressure - any comment swould be greatlty appreciated.

I beleive the ECU ignores the Lamda sensor over (I htink I read 2300 rpm / a certain unknown engone load) so a small rise in Fuel Rail pressure should enable slightly richer mixture as the ECU relies on the MAF for fuel map at this stage - am I wrong?
Old 22 April 2004, 01:36 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dr_jones
In a bid to break 300 hp with my '97 JDM Sti's standard ECU (read cheaply) I have formed the following plan.

Current

Stay with 440 injectors as fitted as std to '97 JDM Sti.
Water Injection (.4mm jet triggered at .8 bar)

Planned:

Fit Walbro 225 lpm fuel pump.
Fit SX Performance FPR - to prevent the deadly lean running may need to run marginally higher FR pressure.
Fit Decat.
Fit Direct Induction.
Use MBC to raise boost to 1.35 bar (close to VF23's limitof 1.38 bar).
Possibly Fit Modified Fuel rail - to prevent lean running on cylinder 2.

I think I have everything covered here - the main concerns being DET (hence W/I) and possible rise in FR pressure - any comment swould be greatlty appreciated.

I beleive the ECU ignores the Lamda sensor over (I htink I read 2300 rpm / a certain unknown engone load) so a small rise in Fuel Rail pressure should enable slightly richer mixture as the ECU relies on the MAF for fuel map at this stage - am I wrong?
mate have you thought apbout fuel cut?

my 97 wrx doesnt cut till about 1.45bar for sum strange reason so thats not stopping me, i am planning of going past 300 bhp myself

i have a knock correction display and i was previously running a vf22 @ about 1.35bar and saw no knock correction (this was with Nf added)

although i only ran it that high for a short while (and got into the 12`s @ elvington -- just! )

personaly i dont mind adding booster, so im not planning on having mine remapped in the near future.

my mods consist of a pannel filter and a cat back 3" exhaust system
your car should be 276bhp as standerd so the extra 24bhp wont stress it to much if its not pinking/detting

ive never ever seen any on boost knock correction on mine, monitor your afr`s and pinking and take it easy
tomorow i am planning to fit a vf24 and run it at about 1.25 bar (maybe a smidgen more if i can get away with it)

report back!
Old 22 April 2004, 02:18 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Stickymicky

What size injectors are you running on ? standard 380 cc or larger ? i have a 93 wrx with standard 380 cc running scoobyecu , afr monitor , with 1.1 bar boost waiting for knocklink and then trying to up boost to 1.2 bar with dawes and hks fcd ? Have been told max boost i can run is about 1.2 bar on standard 380 cc's but i am running on standard Td05 turbo .

Mark
Old 22 April 2004, 06:09 PM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
mate have you thought apbout fuel cut?
hmm hadn't considered that - I guess a FCD could be added - any idea of what the fuel cut is set to on th '97 Stis??

Yeah been having a look at knock correction - I never seem to get any, though one strange think - once saw knock registered on my Knock Link but still nothing on knock correction - seemed strange to me but then of course I backed off right away so maybe I missed it...

Good work on the 12s - a respectable time!

Last RR I squeezed out 298 horses at the flywheel running 1.3 bar peak and a taper to 1.1 - I've since fitted an adjustable actuator restictor to limit by peak to 1.2 but am still on solenoid controll - I take it you are using a MBC?