Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DIY MAF sensor replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2004, 12:25 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DIY MAF sensor replacement??

Is there anything complex about changing a MAF sensor?

Anyone done this before? any comments /do's & dont's would be greatfully received ..

.....oh and the best place to get one for a MY98 turbo

Thanks

Chris
Old 19 April 2004, 10:03 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Wink MAF

i got mine from prosport £73.00 it would be easy to change as its only 2 screws but you would be better to get some one to properly reset your ecu as the old take the battery off for a few hours doesnt work properly i bourght it from them and they didnt charge any labour (i did have my car serviced though)

hope this helps (it was on a my00 BTW)

Jud
Old 19 April 2004, 11:24 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Your MY98 MAF is probably the old hot wire type rather than the later more fragile film type (as fitted to MY99/00).

MY98/99 is where the engine changed from 208 to 215 bhp with a few differences including the MAF.

Is your dump valve bolted to your intercooler? if so you have the new type, otherwise its the old type.

If its the old type then its easy to change but you will have to change the whole assembly including the hard plastic pipe. Just loosen the jubilee clips securing the pipe and remove the whole assembly.

There are a couple of screws securing the sensor into the pipe but I think it is bonded in and you'll have to replace the whole lot.

As said above its wise to reset the ECU following the change but its easy, just do a search for the link to the MRT rally page that details the procedure.

P.S. If you have the old type it may be worth cleaning it first before buying a new one. Just spray brake cleaner on the elements in the tube, you can give it a little rub with a cleaner soaked cotton bud also, to get any oily crud off.
Old 20 April 2004, 09:50 AM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps, much appreciated

Sounds like i have the old type. To be honest i havent ever really looked at the MAF sensor. I'll try cleaning it first... see if it makes any difference. From reading previous posts it does sound like this is the cause of my hesitant engine when cold.

Cheers

Chris