Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

help needed got a banging noise like metal being tossed around

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2004, 08:29 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down help needed got a banging noise like metal being tossed around

today my car started making a banging noise goes away then you rev it and it starts again then it could go away for 10/20 secs then come back on tick over also sounds like as if timming belt has a bit torn off and hitting plastic but if you lay underneath it you can hear it louder at sump, im thinking big ends shells so what does that entail major work if just shells, or could it be the water pump as i read someone else had trouble like me but it turned out to be his pump. I have a MY97 uk spec 96,000mls oil changed every 4000mls.

thanks

hope you can help me

cheers Damian
Old 25 March 2004, 09:18 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I would strongly suggest that you refrain from running the engine untill someone can get to look at it for you.
as you say, it sounds louder by the sump, it could well of run a bearing, so the longer you run the engine, the more the damage continues, as all the bearing bits will be pumping round the engine, getting into all the other bearings, doing no good whatsoever.

Be sensible, get it recovered to an engine shop before it costs bigtime. as you are already facing a full engine stripdown and repair.
Old 25 March 2004, 08:52 PM
northantsscooby
Scooby Newbie

Default Assitance

Hi
If your in the area or we can be of any help check out our web site
www.northantssubaru.co.uk
Regards
Steve
Old 25 March 2004, 08:59 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damo, Noises like that are NOT good news. It's definitely not a good idea to run it again until a qualified person has put an ear to it. It may be something simple but until you get a good ear you'll only do more damage if it's serious.

I can offer advice or an ear if you are anywhere in our area. Call me if you want a no obligation chat.

David API Engines
Old 26 March 2004, 09:51 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi guys thanks for all the info, car has broken No3 shell so i have ordered main bearing, big end shells, head gasket to do rebuild im just waiting to find out if the oil pump is ok but the garage cant rebuild it for a week or so as they are that busy, car is off the road better to be safe than sorry as my last rebuild on my cav turbo cost me over £5000!!!

cheers Damo
Old 05 November 2005, 01:57 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Smile loud front engine noise

Originally Posted by Damo STi
today my car started making a banging noise goes away then you rev it and it starts again then it could go away for 10/20 secs then come back on tick over also sounds like as if timming belt has a bit torn off and hitting plastic but if you lay underneath it you can hear it louder at sump, im thinking big ends shells so what does that entail major work if just shells, or could it be the water pump as i read someone else had trouble like me but it turned out to be his pump. I have a MY97 uk spec 96,000mls oil changed every 4000mls.

thanks

hope you can help me

cheers Damian
hi damian, this prob doesnt have any bearing ha ha get it?? i got t 2000 had front aux belts changed, 1 hour later f$%$ what is that noise!!!! u should of heard it like a tractor but louder turns out a pretensioner arm had broke that keeps the timming belt taut and in place,jumped aparently 6 teeth on exhaust cam 2 on the next 1 on the other,was very lucky!! seems engine ok after new belt and idle bearing ,though am getting intermitent tapping on the right side of engine during warm up. get the car checked!! i paid £500 to sort but could of gone to £2000 , let me know how u get on. sssssteeeee

Last edited by sssssteeeee; 05 November 2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05 November 2005, 02:07 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

This thread started 18months ago! I'm sure he has had it rebuilt by now.
Old 10 November 2005, 09:07 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

Smile ha ha ha very old this is it not

had rebuilt that one long long time ago, and just finished doing a full rebuild on my wrx the joys of boys and toys

cheers Damian