Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Decat Downpipe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2004, 10:19 PM
Sonic74f
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decat Downpipe Questions

I fitted my H&S decat downpipe last week-end on MY00 Turbo so now running a full decat and just have a couple of queries,
1. I refitted the heatshield around the turbo after a few alterations but should I refit the heatshield that ran down the original downpipe also. The reason I ask is that the heatshield around the turbo does not seem to be a major shield for the kind of temperatures the downpipe created. I have also about 30ft of exaust wrap on it.

2. I have as said above 30ft of exaust wrap on it and also painted but there is a fairly bad smell coming from the pipe at the moment. Is this due to the exhaust wrap and the paint and does it go after a while?

3. The car feels great now after fitting the decat downpipe but at what rpm should I feel the turbo kicking in?

Thanks.
Old 23 March 2004, 11:14 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonic,
I have the same set-up on the same car, so,

1. No, Even if you could be bothered, I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't fit any sense anyway!

2. Not got mine wrapped, but did on a previous car, it stank for ages, but then seemed to stop, so bear with it! Could be the paint a bit too!

3. mine starts giving boost at about 2200, full boost by 2700!
Old 23 March 2004, 11:25 PM
Sonic74f
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ron,

Just the answered I wanted.
Old 24 March 2004, 07:14 AM
Green
Scooby Regular

...just the thread I was looking for!...have a hole in my standard downpipe so was considering fitting an HKS Downpipe to compliment the Super Drager rear...what sort of cash am looking at and does it make the system much louder?

...Ron, did you fit yours yourself?...if not, who d'you get to do?, need to find somewhere and you aint a million miles away!
Old 24 March 2004, 08:39 AM
Mal26
Scooby Regular

I've got the HKS superdrager with the Hayward and Scott downpipe which is highly recommended on scoobynet. The HKS downpipe is cheaper,not stainless steel and the design is not meant to be as good - however anything that removes the original downpipe and catalyst is going to give you more power! The noise after fittng downpipe is increased - hear turbo spool at the front of car, backbox growls and a few pops and bangs!!
Old 24 March 2004, 08:41 AM
Mal26
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say H+S downpipe about £220, HKS ~£170.
I got mine fitted by a garage for £50
Old 24 March 2004, 06:46 PM
Sonic74f
Scooby Regular

Just one more question for the ones that have replaced theirs,
if you can recall the original gasket between the downpipe and centre pipe which is a raised gasket and tapers to the end to take the centre pipe, did you re use this one or did you buy a flat gasket as by using this larger gasket it doesn't fit as good between the H&S downpipe and the centre section. Before fitting I bought a new gasket for between the turbo and downpipe but as I was changing them over I was wondering should I have bought 2 new gaskets. I know it sounds a bit confusing but hope you get my drift.
Old 24 March 2004, 07:10 PM
Sonic Blue Type R
Scooby Regular

Question

I was looking into getting a DE-CAT down pipe, but was informed that you increase the risk of piston melt-down, due to a lack of back pressure.

So I was put off a wee bit, I take it a re-map would sort this out, hope so!!

Anyone know anything about this cause I need to do this right.
Old 25 March 2004, 12:02 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where to start,
Right,
1. Yes i did fit mine myself, a bit awkward, and the hardest bit is getting the bolts off of the turbo, some have had bolts shear off, so if you're not full y capable, get a garage to do it!

2. Yes I did reuse the tapered gasket between d/p and centre, but not the bolts, you need straight bolts, not ones with shoulders on them!

3. Pistons melting?? well, I guess it could depend on which model you have, if you have fears, don't do it!
Old 25 March 2004, 12:26 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic Blue Type R
I was looking into getting a DE-CAT down pipe, but was informed that you increase the risk of piston melt-down, due to a lack of back pressure.

So I was put off a wee bit, I take it a re-map would sort this out, hope so!!

Anyone know anything about this cause I need to do this right.
I would certainly buy a knocklink 1st mate. Then you can see if you are getting DET with the new downpipe.

I went for a re-map on mine (MY03 STI) but that was due to boost spiking and DET issues for my engine.

If yours is a classic then I think you have to be more aware, so get a knocklink.
(At least you will see if there is an issue)
Old 25 March 2004, 02:08 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Default MOTs

Can your de-cat downpipes be easiliy replaced with the original cat each year to pass emmissions ? How long does it take and does the original cat fit perfectly in place of the de-cat section ?

Thanks.
Old 25 March 2004, 03:02 PM
Sonic74f
Scooby Regular

Ron,
What type and size bolts did you buy and where? Thanks.

MKC,

Depends on what you mean easily, put it this way its not a job I would like to be doing every day. It took me on my own about 4 hrs and I had no problem with turbo studs etc and had the use of a pit. You may get away with just replacing the centre cat if you are running a full decat for MOT reasons.
Your decat downpipe will swap over perfectly if bought for the correct model but the only problem is that the heatshield more often than not will have to be retrimmed to refit to the car.