Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Supercharged 2.5l engine

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2004, 04:38 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged 2.5l engine

Technically feasible? I reckon it'd be awesome to drive.
Old 20 March 2004, 04:49 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Don't really see the point. One of the advantages of the 2.5 litre engine is that the greater gasflow levels spool the turbo up earlier and stronger than a smaller engine, thus negating the principal benefit of a direct-driven blower. You'd get more relative benefit from supercharging a 2.0!

Feasible? Anything's possible, although the practicalities of locating it in line with the front pulley (assuming you use a belt drive one) and sorting the intake piping would be a bit interesting. FMIC would probably make things easier, but still a bit stuck for space given the proximity of the inlet manifold and alternator (and possibly an aircon pump).
Old 20 March 2004, 04:58 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I see what you mean about the 2.5l reducing the boost threshold, but it's throttle response I was thinking about primarily. That's the single thing I find most unsatisfying about my car. It makes it difficult to adjust the car with the throttle. My mate reckons I should practice left-foot braking but I'm not as good a driver as he is

I guess a lighter flywheel and a degree of anti-lag would help.
Old 20 March 2004, 05:39 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Left-foot braking will help, but braking hard with your foot on the gas doesn't do the longevity of the transmission any favours. If you're talking about on/off/on/off throttle response in a quick B-road type situation, removing the dumpvalve gets you most of the benefits of an ALS implementation, and without the negative implications for exhaust manifold and turbo life*.

The biggest potential gain (and the one with minimal downsides) though is in a lighter flywheel. Standard one is way heavier than it need be, and provided you don't go too light (and/or run a silly clutch), you'll notice a big difference in driveability.
Old 20 March 2004, 07:01 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Hmm, interesting stuff. Is it OK to have the standard flywheel lightened or is it a better to buy a lightweight one off the shelf? My new Scoob came fitted with an STi paddle clutch when I bought it, although it isn't as fierce as I was expecting.
Old 20 March 2004, 08:01 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

There are a few places lightening the standard wheels, and they can be got down to 8kg or so without compromising strength, but if you go this route, it needs to be done by someone with experience rather than some random local engineering firm as the consequences of a shattered one aren't pretty.
Old 20 March 2004, 08:04 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Would you be able to recommend anywhere? Thanks for your help