Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

clutch judder

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2004, 02:52 PM
milu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch judder

has anyone any experience of this on a my03 sti with low miles.
i sem to be getting a bit of judder when first using the car in the morning.
anyone else?
mike.
Old 15 March 2004, 03:53 PM
HRG207
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by milu
has anyone any experience of this on a my03 sti with low miles.
i sem to be getting a bit of judder when first using the car in the morning.
anyone else?
mike.
I find this sometimes happens when starting in morning. Car has done just over 10,000m & had garage check it at the 10k service but no fault found despite them keeping it overnight. This is our first scooby so put it down to my driving style, i.e. not dialling in enough revs to start. My wife hasn't experienced it but she has a heavier right foot than me! Have you had any problems with starting from cold in the morning? Always fires but makes a real effort of it sometimes, had new battery under warranty but problem has returned.
Howard
Old 15 March 2004, 07:39 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

"they all do that sir". It is a fairly common problem with scoobs, not just the STi. On some occassions, my 02WRX does it too.

Only cure I know of - give it a hard, clutch slipping start (enough to just about smell the clutch), the problem will go away for a thousand miles or two. If the problem comes back, do another fast start. This also explains why Howard's wife is fine with it!

Other alternative - move to a warmer country
Old 16 March 2004, 07:45 AM
milu
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies. to be honest i find the clutch awkward at the best of times,its difficult to explain but it just seems hard to use smoothly and irritates me to death!
mike.
Old 16 March 2004, 09:28 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

If the car is a UK model there is a warranty fix to cure this on the new models,you will get a complete new clutch and a re-faced flywheel and away you go,my 2 mates cars an 01 and an 03 have both had the dreaded judder cured with the above fix, all under warranty.

Zippy
Old 17 March 2004, 01:21 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
If the car is a UK model there is a warranty fix to cure this on the new models,you will get a complete new clutch and a re-faced flywheel and away you go,my 2 mates cars an 01 and an 03 have both had the dreaded judder cured with the above fix, all under warranty.

Zippy
I experience judder sometimes when first started and pulling away in first gear (2001 Bug Eye WRX). Goes away when car has warmed up a bit. Does this justify trying to get warranty fix? and how did you go about it (via dealer where sold?). Nearest dealer is Bulldog Twyford where I very recently purchased car (last serviced there Jan 04) - seem like nice people but they might show true colours if they think I'm trying it on.
Old 17 March 2004, 05:01 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Cool

I simply wish all those guys who think that simply revving the go nads of an engine then promptly slipping the clutch out would see sense and realise they are acheiving nothing other than taking the lining off the clutch drive plate and making a nasty smell. GET A LIFE LADS< DONT DO IT.

If your clutch is juddering and the vehicle is under manufacturers warranty, well get it back to the dealer and let them change the flywheel along with the clutch. It is the "flywheel" that is faulty, the drive surface is warped and no amount of clutch slipping and engine revving is going to cure that now is it....

Now watch all the toys go flying out of some prams.........
Old 18 March 2004, 12:36 AM
JonathanC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch
I experience judder sometimes when first started and pulling away in first gear (2001 Bug Eye WRX). Goes away when car has warmed up a bit. Does this justify trying to get warranty fix? and how did you go about it (via dealer where sold?). Nearest dealer is Bulldog Twyford where I very recently purchased car (last serviced there Jan 04) - seem like nice people but they might show true colours if they think I'm trying it on.
I also get clutch judder and not just when cold on my 01 WRX but there does not seem to be a pattern. I also brought it from Bulldog Twyford so I would be interested to know how you get on. Mine needs a service soon so might raise the problem then.
Old 18 March 2004, 07:24 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

My 02 STi first did this with 6000km on the clock. I took it to my dealer who said almost every impreza he has sold does the same. He told me to slip the clutch and it would go away. I waited until it was wet and did as instructed, it went away. It comes back from time to time but I would have thought a warped flywheel would make it do it all the time?
Old 19 March 2004, 12:42 AM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

If you live with the judder that all scoobs seem to develop, I believe that the flywheel will wear unevenly and eventually it will judder all the time. The only fix is a skimmed or replacement flywheel.

I also believe that the "stickyness" of the clutch action increases over time (maybe a build up of deposits on the friction plate) and it's a GOOD thing to burn it off occasionally (every 2 or 3 months?) to prevent uneven flywheel wear. The clutch action is improved after a spirited start (Don't go mad just 1 will do), the "stickyness" gone...

This is all IMHO of course, I'd be interested in a guru opinion, but it works for me
Old 19 March 2004, 11:45 AM
One_Lung
Scooby Regular

Question

I've got it too. It only happens sometimes when i first start from cold. but its getting more frequent. I've got a MY98 turbo which is different to all the modern scoobs posted in this thread.
I just had a service by Subaru and they noticed it but didn't say it needed sorting.
I'll just have to try a quick start when its warmed up see if that has any effect
Old 19 March 2004, 12:26 PM
red wrex
Scooby Regular

I have heard that if you change to dot 5 clutch fluid this helps to sort things out somewhat!!
Old 19 March 2004, 12:57 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

I am going to see how it behaves as touch wood it's been barely noticeable since end of colder weather, and I'm not going to try fierce standing starts/clutch slipping in order to 'temporarily cure problem'. If your service is in next few weeks, let me know what Bulldog say - my three years warranty period ends in mid June 2004. From all the other comments, it seems that clutch judder is something Scoob owners have to put up with. I used to get it sometimes with my old Primera 2.0 SRI.
Old 19 March 2004, 08:11 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

It is the "flywheel" that is faulty, the drive surface is warped and no amount of clutch slipping and engine revving is going to cure that now is it....
Is slipping the clutch going to unwarp a flywheel? No. However, if there's uneven deposits on the flywheel, it will burn them off. The number of people who have done this with success stacks up pretty well against an opinion stated in a mildly pompous and patronising tone in the way of evidence, IMHO

Does that count as toys out of pram?
Old 20 March 2004, 11:00 AM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

Has anyone ever heard of a flywheel that "warped"? I doubt it. Think of the stress that brake discs live with without warping....

The point is - Dont live with the judder. Kill it as soon as it starts by burning off the sticky deposits (3 or 4 times a year). Live with it and the flywheel will wear unevenly and it will judder all the time.... Simple, really
Old 20 March 2004, 12:23 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Take it into the dealers and get it sorted or at least contact them and let them know its happening.

The flywheel doesnt warp it needs re-facing with a new clutch assembly

Here is a link to the Subaru official response to dealers with customers complaining of 'Clutch Judder'. All the required parts are listed.If your dealer fobs you off put this under his nose

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...?threadid=1836

Zippy
Old 22 May 2004, 12:06 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Take it into the dealers and get it sorted or at least contact them and let them know its happening.

The flywheel doesnt warp it needs re-facing with a new clutch assembly

Here is a link to the Subaru official response to dealers with customers complaining of 'Clutch Judder'. All the required parts are listed.If your dealer fobs you off put this under his nose

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...?threadid=1836

Zippy
Thanks for the link. Its useful.

But my MY01 UK300 is doing it, and its MY01 cars are not listed in the applicability for that TSB...

Any ideas ?
Old 22 May 2004, 12:15 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonathanC
I also get clutch judder and not just when cold on my 01 WRX but there does not seem to be a pattern. I also brought it from Bulldog Twyford so I would be interested to know how you get on. Mine needs a service soon so might raise the problem then.

any joy with bulldog guys ??
Old 22 May 2004, 12:19 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

4 clutches over 4 years on 2 Scoobs (MY00 and MY01). All at some point have juddered. On both cars, the clutch has been replaced under warranty (the latest one was the 'cure' that Zippy talked about for MY01/02s). The latest one has been the best (in terms of resisting judder and feel), but it still does it. Does that mean that 4 flywheels have been 'warped' - I have to say I find that hard to believe. The uneven wear sounds more likely. The real question is that this has been going on for years. Why has Subaru not been able to fix this? I've never had this on any other make of car I've owned.

Chris
Old 24 May 2004, 10:29 AM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by streetbeats
From what I saw, Subaru advice to dealers re: 'offer to replace clutch/flywheel' did not apply to MY01 WRX, so I'm not sure what to do. Has JonathonC made any approach to Bulldog yet? As to judder, it still comes and goes and is entirely random, but not a daily problem - happened a few times yesterday when starting away in 1st when warmed up, so not just a problem in cold weather and after first starting. It's certainly not got any worse or more frequent since end Feb when I first got car. On the other hand, it could suddenly develop into a much worse situation.
Old 24 May 2004, 11:22 AM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch
From what I saw, Subaru advice to dealers re: 'offer to replace clutch/flywheel' did not apply to MY01 WRX, so I'm not sure what to do. Has JonathonC made any approach to Bulldog yet? As to judder, it still comes and goes and is entirely random, but not a daily problem - happened a few times yesterday when starting away in 1st when warmed up, so not just a problem in cold weather and after first starting. It's certainly not got any worse or more frequent since end Feb when I first got car. On the other hand, it could suddenly develop into a much worse situation.
yeah pretty much same situation here.....

gonna see what they say....
Old 24 May 2004, 01:14 PM
JonathanC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by streetbeats
As usual it wouldn't do it when they tested. Their comment was.."they all do that sir!" so I guess they aren't taking it that seriously.

To be fair an occasional bit of slipping seems to reduce the judder. I'll see if it gets any worse