Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

new firestorm on P1

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2004, 11:42 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new firestorm on P1

firestorm and tsl decat/centre all fitted today by Tileys in Bristol, and I have never heard anything like it. Nor had the dealership by the comments when I picked the car up. However - is it my imagination - but driving back home tonight (terrible weather) - I seem to have lost some low down 'umph'. The car is now driving like my old P1 (60,000 miles + scoobysport decat) and it dosn't seem quite as manic as it was a few days ago. Its very low mileage, 2300, and although it now sounds much better I can't decide if I lost something in the process. To be fair the weather tonight was so awful I couldn't really test it but certainly something dosn't seem quite right.

Anyone any suggestions. Tileys fitted a new oxygen sensor in the process, but apart from that, a straightforward swop from the P1 standard system to the FS. I thought a decat would give me bite, not less.
Old 13 March 2004, 09:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about a full decat here?
The exhaust itself will 'bed' in, becoming slightly quieter (but not by much).
The only other downpoint i can add about decatting the P1 is that it has an inherrant lean spot in the map, id purchase a knocklink/lamba link to be on the safe side.

Tony
Old 13 March 2004, 10:55 AM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

I have exactly the same problem albeit not with a P1. I have a MY00WRSport which runs with the PPP ECU (245ish BHP). I fitted a decat D/Pipe and an Afterburner Vortex and whilst the sound of the car is superb I have also lost some of the low down torque. However having taken it out on an open road I can tell you that the top end has improved somewhat but this is not much use to me when using it for everyday driving. I have read about problems with PPP ECU's (quite an aggresive Map apparently) can cause such issues and have decided to re-fit the Catted d/pipe and refit the prodrive B/Box cos the car drove very well before I modded it.

I don't know much about the P1 map but maybe its a similar problem ?
Old 13 March 2004, 12:47 PM
blitz imp reza
Scooby Regular

This will be due to reducing the back pressure, in standard it would of built up boost pressure a bit earlier but it would not flow as much, hence it revs less to make the power and would of been mapped to this. With the decat flowing better it will not build up as much backpressure so you will notice this low down but it will be better at high revs when the turbo is spinning at full chat. Depends on your driving style which you prefer
Old 13 March 2004, 02:45 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

thanks for the comments - its seem better this morning but I still think there something missing at low revs. Will run it for a week or so and see how it goes