Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is the clutch about to go?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2004, 03:38 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the clutch about to go?

The $1,000,000 question... is my clutch about to go?

It is a MY95 WRX and has 93,000 on the clock...

I am not sure if it is on the original clutch (probably not )

I have clutch judder when pulling off (not too bad), but get it when in 2nd and revs are below 2k (like when going over speed bumps).

I think it has started to slip as when accelerating in any gear other than 1st the car doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.

The boost gauge looks like it is hitting 0.7 (I swear it used to be higher - closer 0.9).

I had the oil topped up not long ago, and it looks like they have put too much in - so maybe a boost solenoid problem.

Basically, the car feels much slower and non-responsive... I feel like I am driving a diesel... not a turbo'd Optimaxaholic machine.

What is wrong with my pride and joy (and misery)?
Old 08 March 2004, 03:51 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I will let someone more qualified to answer your question re over filling oil (but I'm sure this is not a good thing)

You will know if the clutch is slipping if you put it into a high gear at low speed and then try to accelerate. If the engine speed goes up at the same time as then it should be ok. If the engine speed (RPM) goes up faster than speed then clutch is slipping.

Mine is slipping when I put in 4th or 5th (and 3rd more recently) and try to accelerate hard...the engine revs go up but speed doesn't (momentarily).

Bob
Old 08 March 2004, 04:06 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply...

I think this is what is happening - and I will experiment on the way home down the dual carridge ways

I am taking the car back to the garage that topped the fluids up to get it checked... if it is overfilled should I ask them to clean the boost solenoid to repair the problem that they (may) have caused, or should I get my hands dirty on the weekend (even though I have no clue how to do it)?
Old 08 March 2004, 04:25 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Your welcome mate.

Cannot advise you on the overfill situation. Sorry.

Bob
Old 08 March 2004, 04:30 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

No worries BOB'5.

I know that the oil overfill is a problem... but I am not 100% sure if it has been overfilled.

I checked when the oil was cold, but the surface is not 100% level (but close to it).

I will take it to the garage and check it... but if it is overfilled, what should I do people - what is the solution (apart from getting them to drain it to the correct level)?
Old 09 March 2004, 09:33 AM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Update: Drove home yesterday, and back into work today, and there has been no sign of clutch slip. The car still doesn't seem as responsive as it used to be.

I am going to the garage tomorrow to get them to check the oil level on their "level surface" and see if it is a problem caused by having too much oil in the car.