Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Hesitation - anything to be concerned about?

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2001, 06:14 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've got an MY95 UK 5dr Turbo.

It's got 76K on the clock (FSSH) and just recently serviced.

I've just noticed today driving home that below 2k revs, the car is 'hesitant', almost like there's poor-quality petrol.....

Over 2k it is fine - as a normal Scooby should be

Is this anything to be concerned about? Should I get the dealer to do a diagnostic on it?

Has anybody else had this experience?

Your advice/assistance, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 04 October 2001, 06:19 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it could be a leaking vacuum pipe on the inlet manifold.
Check these are all secure and tight,could be your problem.

Darren
Old 04 October 2001, 06:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Darren - where do I look?! (I put petrol in it and drive!!! )

Is there anything else it could be?

Is this serious?

Cheers for replying so quick.

Dan
Old 04 October 2001, 08:30 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

My00 was in the dealers today for a few little probs...one of which was hesitation.

The old contaminated MAF chestnut (I gota RamAir panel filter) they cleaned it up, running better than the day I picked it up
Old 04 October 2001, 08:50 PM
Rambo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Don.

Am presently having the same problem with my MY00, the car has been back to the dealers 5 times, and only this week I had an answer to the problem. The MY99 & MY00 cars have a problem with the exhaust gases being low and the turbo boost presuers correspondinly lower, between 2700 RPM & 3000RPM. you may be able to feel this hesitation if you open the car door and lean on the door panel, the hesitation seems is more apparent. IM in Feb this year sent a brief out to dealers with a report on this problem, IM in this breif are calling this problem Turbo Lag. Seems odd that you spend a lot of money on a performance car to be told that your car suffers from Turbo lag and their is nothing they can do.
Try speaking to Scooby Sport, they have recommended to me to replace the down pipe. They are worth speaking to.

Andy.
Old 04 October 2001, 08:59 PM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

All of these pipes are located around the inlet manifold on the centre of the engine,right near your ignition pack,just check they are all on tightly!!!!!!!!

Darren
Old 04 October 2001, 09:27 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers chaps,

Keep the ideas comin'!!!

Dan

Trending Topics

Old 05 October 2001, 09:09 AM
HarryBoy
Scooby Regular

Rambo,
The downpipe will not make your MY00 hesitation any better, I have one on my MY00 and it made no difference.

Neal
Old 05 October 2001, 05:24 PM
Pete Jackson
Scooby Newbie

Can I suggest that you look at the throttle position sensor and also consider that the inlet track may be gummed up with carbon. I can offer a Run-Rite Fuel system cleaner. Please call me at Listers of Worcester (Subaru Dealer) 01905 640512.
Regards, Pete Jackson
Old 05 October 2001, 06:32 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Pete,

I'm booked in to see you on Thursday anyways

I've also been told it could be the air-flow meter......

We'll chat on Thursday

Regards,

Dan MY95 5dr in Silver

Hey Hey!!! Posts - 555!!!!! how sad!

[This message has been edited by ScoobyDoo555 (edited 05 October 2001).]
Old 05 October 2001, 06:36 PM
Sul
Scooby Regular

Dan,

I have hesitiation too, but I dont think yours is offical weapons grade hesitation that is about to force me to sell up.

I reckon it's just a bad dose of petrol, give it two more fill ups and that should see the ecu cleansed. If it dosent go away, the bad fuel may have caused a knock, which has led to the ecu retarding the timing at the rev range at which it occurred.

I would try the two tanks of fuel, then go for the ecu reset if it isnt cured.

Mark (Rapidly becoming poor trying to fix this)

PS Mega-Stream - You cant clean the MAF Sensor on the MY00 as its a hot film type. Even look at the wee bugger and its into the bin. No cleaning - just replacing !
Old 05 October 2001, 08:06 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi All

Just an answer from Subaru (if I remember wright USA dep.):

Subaru Service Bulletin Number 11-53-98 Date: 1/5/99
Applicability: 97~98 Legacy, Impreza, and Forester Manual Transmission vehicles with 2.5L & 2.2L engines.
Subject: Hesitation On acceleration
In the event you encounter a customer complaining of a slight engine hesitation between 1500~2500rpm’s when the engine is cold or hot, perform the following:
Eliminate all external influences, such s a incorrect or dirty air filter, loose or cracked intake duct, dirty fuel filter, low fuel pressure, PVC system, or low engine vacuum that would indicate an external leak or an internal engine component. Check for trouble codes and repair as necessary. Verify the fuel quality.
If all external components are confirmed to be operating within vehicle specifications, the hesitation may be caused by the ignition control logic in the ECM. Under certain low rpm driving patterns, the ignition control system can pick up engine vibrations through the knock sensor and may retard the ignition timing. This ignition timing is learned by the ECM and placed in memory. Note: This area of the memory can not be viewed by using the Select Monitor. When the vehicle is driven under these conditions, the timing may be retarded and could cause that engine to hesitate on acceleration. To confirm this condition, road test the vehicle while viewing the Knock Sensor Signal on the Select Monitor. If you duplicate the hesitation, and the reading on the monitor is around -10 Degrees, you will need to change the ECM to correct the concern.
Note: Some vehicles (shown on the following two charts) were produced with two different emission systems during the same model year. To identify which system you have, look at the Vehicle Identification Number. Refer to the chart to identify which system you have on the 98MY Forester and 97MY Impreza vehicles and choose the correct part number from the chart on the following page.

Hope this helps you all!

JIM

PS: Almost all the 99-00 models suffer from hesitation as mine. In my opinion the reason is the new exhaust gas limitation (EURO 3-4), not sure, just my opinion...
Old 07 October 2001, 08:18 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Dan,

can you keep us informed of any progress (or lack of). I've got a MY95 as well which I think is hesitating more than it should do. I'd be interested in hearing what the diagnosis is.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 07 October 2001, 10:54 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Cool - it's at the dealers on Thursday/Friday. Will post with any news etc....ASAP.

Dan
Old 08 October 2001, 10:05 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

I also have an MY95 (WRX) that is hesitating. It is being looked at as we speak. Suspected dirty fuel filter or dodgy lambda sensor. Should have it back in a couple of hours, hopefully fixed. I'll repost later today.
Old 09 October 2001, 08:22 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Car fixed
Fuel filter and lambda sensor needed replacing.
Old 09 October 2001, 07:16 PM
John H
Scooby Regular

Ken,
Could you let me know the cost of those items? My 94 WRX sometimes has those symptoms but only when the engines cold. Sometimes it's fine ,othertimes it's not. Puzzling ??

Thanks,
John
Old 12 October 2001, 06:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My car has been sorted!!

Went to Listers (worcester) and spoke to Pete Jackson.

He's got a product from the States called 'RunRite' - I know, I know, I was skeptical too, but Pete showed me the gumpf on it and basically, if it's good enough for Texaco to market (albeit rebadged), it's good enough for me.

The car was there for about an hour or so, and this RunRite was fed through the engine (not the petrol). The product basically cleans out all the carbon deposits in your engine, leaving it, well, virtually new/clean!

The results?

1. My 'hesitation' has vanished.
2. The engine idles much better.
3. The throttle response is back to it's orginal state.
4. The car pulls like a freight-train!!
5. Fuel economy is MEANT to get better - will post more over the next few days.

I'm totally recommending this product. And it's not just for Scoobs, but any cars.

Now the exciting thing. Pete is giving people a free trial, just to drum up interest in the product. So I urge everyone to give Pete a shout and book your motor in to have this done (especially slighly higher-mileage cars)

for more details
Old 12 October 2001, 07:08 PM
Tato
Scooby Newbie

Red face

Hi to all,

This is my story with the hesitation.
MY97, 3 years driving with it and no one could find the problem.
One day the car did not start and find out that the fuel pump was not working, well there is dam black connector underneath the back seat on the right side,it was overheat ang burned on one pin, change the thing with a new aftermarket and bigger connectors, surprise !!!!!.
The hesitation was gone plus I gain a lot more final power.
So if you have the hesitation, oscillating idle, check this connector.

Cheers

Tato
Old 13 October 2001, 09:42 PM
adw555
Scooby Regular

..oh no..for months now I have been reading about this hesitation problem, but for the last 14months and 18K miles I haven't had a problem(MY00)...today I'm accelerating from 2500 and for a couple of seconds it's as if there is nothing..then it picks up...did this twice today...anything I can look for before it gets worse ??...cheers