Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

CV boot - How do you get the driveshaft off?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2001, 01:22 PM
MB2001
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone please help me I'm right in the middle of changing my offside front outer CV boot on my MY95 5dr turbo and I'm not sure of how to get the driveshaft out of the CV joint. I know that on my other motor (MK1 golf GTI) its just a case of pull it hard enough and it pops out but with the scooby do you need to take off the hub nut?
Old 06 October 2001, 05:56 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yep it's held in by a strong o ring inside best way is to pop the bottom ball joint out of the lower arm remove the roll pin on the gearbox side so tht it can slide off and remove the driveshaft completely bearing in mind tht the holes that the roll pin knocks through are straight on 1 side and chamfered on the other so put it back on with both chamfered sides together other wise the roll pin wont tap through . then put the driveshaft in the vice and with a soft hammer knock the joint off fitting is just a reversal of wot u have done
Old 08 October 2001, 06:13 PM
MB2001
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks Scoobyboy! I ended up just putting it all back together as I was running out of time on saturday but I'm going to do it now thanks to your advice, I did change the springs while I was there. Next job though will be the clutch as it only takes an inch of depress and it will change gear (80K) plus there's a funny smell thats getting to me. I Have changed the timing belt myself which was fun (4 hours on my own) what a nightmare trying to align the timing marks!
If you have any knowledge on doing the clutch please feel free to chuck it my way? thanks again.