Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Cracked discs

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2001, 08:08 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I'm just about to have the 22.5K service (although my car has only done 11K!) and I've noticed that the discs are crazed. Will the dealer change them automatically or will I have to fight?

Suggestions on approach if they don't please.

F
Old 03 October 2001, 08:20 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car has done 11K (10k on 1155 pads) and the discs have fine crazed patterns on their surface. After a thrash they can disappear. When I first saw them I thought they were cracking. However don't go a mindless thrash if your discs might suddenly crack as the consequences would upset me. Maybe a few firm stops in a straight line with good run off and see if they move?
Old 03 October 2001, 10:06 AM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At my last service (52.5K) it was highlighted to the dealer the front disks were scored. They checked them out and came back with the answer, they are crazed and scored but as there is a little life left in them and lots in the pads they will be replaced at the next service. That would be the 60K service when the warranty has run out

On Sunday one of the disks cracked and judder could be felt though the brake peddle. 20 mins later the AA turned up and towed it to the dealer. They have now replaced the disks and pads on the front and the car should be returned today.

[Edited to add]

There has been comments on this board about getting the OEM disks replaced by uprated ones under warranty so speak nicely to your dealer.

[This message has been edited by orbv (edited 03 October 2001).]
Old 04 October 2001, 12:02 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Floyd,

My OEM disks were cracked (both fronts). I hadn't noticed myself, but the dealer pointed it out at my last service (6mths ago).

Had no problems getting them replaced under warranty. I needed new pads at the same time, so I only paid for them parts (again no labour charge)

There should be no problems whatsoever getting the OEM one's replaced under warranty.

Stefan
Old 04 October 2001, 08:18 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

orbv

Uprated discs under warranty? What do they put on instead?

I'd be a lot happier if they would just change them but if there is a better alternative then I'd like to try it.

F
Old 04 October 2001, 10:33 AM
orbv
Scooby Regular

They put stanard OEM disks on mine but its only got 4K miles until warranty runs out. Try searching the forum for peoples comments on disks changed under warranty
Old 04 October 2001, 02:46 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Question

Interesting.

I was told on my last service - 37,500 - that front discs and pads would need replacing at 45,000. I'm still in warranty so should I push for these to be replaced F.O.C.?

Cheers
Kav

Trending Topics

Old 04 October 2001, 03:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Kav,

You'll only get the FOC if there is a manufacturing problem or they've failed under normal use. You'll not get them replaced free if you've driven like a loon and have worn them down.

I think they've told you they'll need replacing after looking at their current state and estimating how much more use you'll get out of them.

Stefan
Old 05 October 2001, 06:35 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Stefan

Most of my driving is (unfortunately) motorway so I was pretty surprised to have got through a set of discs in that distance.

Cheers
Kav
Old 05 October 2001, 07:26 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for the link Kav

My00 went in for a 6month service yesterday only done 24k, the dealer reported that my disc's needed chagning as they looked badly ridged.

I've managed to get them to 99% agree that it'll be done under warranty, he says there is always the odd turned downed claim.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had uprated disc's fitted by the dealer. I mananged to get a P1 clutch fitted 2k ago when it suffered from the old judder problem.

Its gotta be a fault with the disc's, my dad's T5 Volvo has only just had new disc's after 120k and boy does he kane that!

Old 05 October 2001, 07:59 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention I managed around 24K/2yrs out of my original set of front discs.

Stefan
Old 05 October 2001, 10:54 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Question

My rears are pretty scored as well so I'll ask about them at the same time.

Do you think they will replace the pads FOC? They are hardly worn but I thought it was good practice to change the pads as well as new discs.

F
Old 23 October 2001, 06:17 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

mega_stream!

'Uprated' brake discs;
I got my discs (and pads as well) replaced under warranty due to cracks and asked if possible to pay a premium to get discs with higher grade steel / drilled etc.
Dealer not too happy about this but I learnt that there were actually 2 disc part numbers newer than the ones fitted to my
car from new. (MY 00 reg. 1st time here april '00)

Difference between my old discs and the new PNs was material thickness and width and length of ventilation 'corridor' in order
to overcome overheat/cracking problem.

As mentioned there were 2 options; The newer the PN, the thicker the disc material and narrower AND longer the vent 'corridor' (couldn't find a better word ;-) Working fine now, with EBC green stuff pads. :-)

I think I have the PNs somewhere and can possibly find them if
you give me the PNs for the P1 clutch ;-)
I am on my 1st warranty clutch but it has just started
judderrrrring again I want to convince my dealer that P1 clutch
housing is the way to go to sort this out once and for all.

Thanks,
Simen.
Old 24 October 2001, 10:29 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
I purchased a set of 4-pots from a dealer. They were off of a P1 with delivery mileage only.

After 6000 miles they had the crazy paving effect. The dealer changed the discs, and pads, at no cost.

Great service guys
Old 24 October 2001, 01:00 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The dealer put new discs on but not new pads. They said that they new of a problem with the discs but didn't say if I got the new type or not.

I still can't see that any new OE disc or after market disc will stop warping and cracking from repeated hard stops. My conclusion is that only AP's will really stop this and you'd have to be a real loon to damage these. It's all in the AP's seperate bell/rotor assembly method, you see.

Pity I ain't got £1300 though.
F