Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Diff Oils and Engine Oils

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2001, 12:42 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Currently using a NASCAR 15w 60 number which I think is to harsh for the engine.

Looking to change Oil heard good things re Motul, anyboby got other sensible advice?

Same with Diff Oils, used Silkolene in the past and will probable go back to it but just wondered had anyone got experience with other uprated oils?

SJD
Old 26 September 2001, 03:57 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Red face

What no advice
Old 26 September 2001, 05:15 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Talking

Answered my own question bugger you lot

Just spoke to a chemist at Delta Oil in the states and he gave me some really useful advice explaining about the use of quality base stcoks. He explained that Redline Oils use the best available this is easy to check on the tin. Diester is the best stock qualty to use much better than Mobils Tri Synthetic all other oils use Diester as a % mix.

Whereas Redline use it as there base stock.

He also explained a load of other crap re Castrol, Mobil, The 76 NASCAR oil I am currently using but I shalln't bore you with it.

Changing to REDLINE 10w 40, end of.

SJD

[This message has been edited by Scott J Davies (edited 26 September 2001).]
Old 26 September 2001, 06:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Mobil cr@p?!!
Think hes talking BLX!
For general use most synthetic oils will do nicely, also products like Mobil1 are used in rallying and most other motorsports, F1 included, now if it was a cr@p oil would these people still use it? i doubt it and as for what the americans think and what we think.... well, those le mans cars do bloody well with the tri synth oils in!

Tony
Old 26 September 2001, 09:00 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tony

Are you reading the same thread where do I say that Mobil is crap?? Oh hang on you have miss read my post read it again m8.

I think that a biochemist working for a very large American Oil company would rather know what he is talking about anyway.

He never said Mobil is crap he merely pointed out the technical information as to why others are better.

And do you really think the stuff that they use in F1 and rallying and GT racing is what you can buy in halfords??

Many oil companies buy the endorsement of motorsports for marketing purposes. Sure its good gear but there is better!

Right climb down of my soap box now.

SJD
Old 26 September 2001, 10:04 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Scott,

Have a read of this for engine oil.
Old 27 September 2001, 10:11 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Scott.

This can be taken as far as you want to go.

I sell more than one type of oil, as there are different oils needed for different circumstances and types of use.

Some of the top names for oil (Ultimate oil), are without doubt (though not exclusively), Redline & Motul (300V range), both using the very best quality Base stocks.

Though that doesn't mean you should rule out the other players..... I use all of the following at different points of the year dependant upon circumstances and task at hand:
Mobil 1 (0/40), Millers (10/60), Motul 300V (15/50).

Bear in mind that I also change my oil before and after every track event.

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2001, 11:39 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wrexy

Will do M8.

Arbu Tuckshop

Firstly I didn't get your wav file M8, I hope its the one I have heard about, he he

I wasn't ruling anything out just wanted to pass on what I heard and also to get some feedback. By the way do you use an engine flush?
Old 27 September 2001, 06:06 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

No, don't use engine flush.
Wav file inbound.
Old 27 September 2001, 07:19 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scott,
sorry if you took my post the wrong way, thus the at the end but for daily use in a normal road going car, oils like Mobil1 and castrol are more than sufficient and will keep your engine going for hundreds of thousands of miles (with lots of oil changes). The fact that you put a different type in because some bio chemist says its better doesnt matter as bio chemists have their own opinion and one may endorse another oil as being better than the one you state.
As you know, lots of high performance cars ie Ferrari, endorse products such as Mobil1 (vauxhall included!) as their availabilty in easy, also, what normally gets developed for motorsport will eventually end up in your car, its all a big circle in the end and unless you are running a race engine (and even if you are running one!) off the shelf synthetic oils are what you need in a modern performance car
Ta

Tony