Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anti lag......

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 04:47 PM
wrxsandy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

...how does it work on rally cars? What causes those fantastic pops and bangs?
Cheers
Paul
Old 01 February 2004, 04:30 PM
wrxsandy
Scooby Newbie

Anybody?
Old 01 February 2004, 04:44 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

do a search mate! this questions been asked time and time again.
dave
Old 01 February 2004, 04:44 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

I'm not totally sure, but I think that just chuck a shed load of fuel into the engine which then explodes in the headers and the uppipe thus driving the turbo.
Old 01 February 2004, 04:46 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

AFAIK

Fuel is injected downstream of the turbo into the Exhaust. This causes the flames and bangs you see/hear.The explosion inside the exhaust causes the Turbo Impeller to spin up thus reducing the time that it takes the turbo to reach the required outlet pressure.

Craig
Old 01 February 2004, 05:18 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

So if thats what ahppend then RB how does the GEMS engine management manage to get anti lag then. Cause that unit which we are doing a group buy on manages to create the anti lag flashes and bangs.
Old 01 February 2004, 05:26 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

you have to put fuel into the exhaust so that it burns !

you either do this on purpose or you run the car rich.... I don't know how that ECU works
Old 01 February 2004, 05:28 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Me neither I dont know how that Ecu creates it but I have been told with a flick of a switch you can get true anti lag So I am going to order one and apparently you cna adjust how much Antilag you can get so you dont kill your exhaust or turbo.
Old 01 February 2004, 05:34 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
You are wrong RB5-Black. Do a search.
Old 01 February 2004, 05:40 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Hi john.

So can you explain how it works then and by the way was really ncie to see you mising it up with the bikes and porsches on the Ring videos you did. Did you wear the brakes and tyres much.
Old 01 February 2004, 05:50 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

not far off for a blabbering fool

just wrong side of the turbo
Old 01 February 2004, 05:52 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
got mine on a switch on/off ask john how it works hes alot more techie than me
Old 01 February 2004, 05:53 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

To answer the original poster's question on the rally cars, there are a variety of separate things that constitute the lag control strategies employed on modern world rallycars, from cutting spark to retarding the timing to modulation of the throttle butterfly to exhaust gas recirculation and more besides, so there's no one single explanation.

It's not simply a case of switching it "on" and "off" either - the Impreza WRC99 and onwards has three settings. The higher up you have it, the more effective the lag control is, but the more the throttle pedal starts to feel like a switch rather than a linear throttle pedal.

With the GEMS and similar programmable ECU's on a standard engine, again different mappers have different methods, but it's a combination of severely retarding the timing and continuing to inject fuel on a trailing throttle. The timing is retarded enough so the spark is fired when the exhaust valve is already opening, and thus the fuel mixture burns primarily in the exhaust manifold rather than the cylinder, with the resulting explosion driving the turbo rather than the piston.

BTW, SubTypeR, while the ECU in the GEMS group buy is capable of implementing ALS, are you actually getting ALS as part of the group buy? If so, are you getting the bits necessary to disable the brake servo assistance, ABS and so-on?

[Edited by greasemonkey - 2/1/2004 7:04:52 PM]
Old 01 February 2004, 06:04 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Question

"the bits necessary to disable the brake servo assistance, ABS and so-on? "

You need to do this to have anti-lag?
Old 01 February 2004, 06:17 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Yes, if you're talking about a proper ALS rather than just a few poncy exhaust farts.

The brake servo relies on vacuum in the inlet manifold. With (proper) ALS running, there will almost always be positive air pressure in the manifold, so no vacuum to drive the servo.

Even with the one-way valve in place, the ALS can give an extremely hard brake pedal (try pressing the brake pedal with your left foot while accelerating hard to see what this feels like), so the most consistent solution is to disconnect the servo altogether.

I don't know for certain that the ABS would have to go, but without the servo assistance, I'm not sure it'd work properly.

Again, all depends on whether you're talking about proper ALS, and how extreme an implementation you had, but issues like reduced exhaust, turbo and header working life, increased underbonnet temps, the need for more frequent oil changes and so-on all come into play. TBH, given the complications it causes, there's just no need for a toy like this on a daily driver, IMO of course!

[Edited by greasemonkey - 2/1/2004 6:39:31 PM]
Old 01 February 2004, 10:26 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Well according to Steve who is helping to run the group buy he is including ALS and Launch control (vehicle dependant on Launch control) on the deal price which is signifcantly reduced to normal price. I cant see why he would offer the system if you needed to buy other things to make it work. I would agree ALS is not required for everyday driving, would anyone feel that the AlS might reduce times on quarter mile and 0 - 60 runs if the boost is constantly their.

Thanks Greasemonkey (I wish I knew your name as i feel so rude calling you Greasemonkey) for the info on the brake servo. I will ask Steve Simpson who is supplying and mapping these systems if this will be affected. I have spoke to many a happy GEMs Customer in the past and from the previous group buy and they seem really happy with the mapping and ALS that can be individually mapped to the customers level. So a less fierce system can reduce wear and tear on the car.

I would be interested to hear from people that arent so happy on the GEMS front tho.

Old 01 February 2004, 11:49 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I have it, brakes wotk fine and the system works amazingly well, it's like 2 different cars when it's on.

Using 25% throttle opening don't remember the timing or fueling.

Launch control wasn't available though (MY99).

I never expected it to work half as well as it does, just expected some flames and bangs

Dave
Old 01 February 2004, 11:54 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I cant see why he would offer the system if you needed to buy other things to make it work.
Maybe it just hasn't occurred to him? (no reason why it would!) All depends on the severity, how much boost you want at what rpm and so-on.

I would agree ALS is not required for everyday driving, would anyone feel that the AlS might reduce times on quarter mile and 0 - 60 runs if the boost is constantly their.
That's a bit of a piece of string question. You'd need it quite fierce to make a big difference under full acceleration, and then you're into issues with the working life of the components.

The areas where ALS comes in really handy are circuit racing and rallying where you're braking and on and off the throttle all the time. If all you're doing is quarter miling, my guess is that you'd gain just as much from removing the dumpvalve and fitting a spark cut device that will enable you to shift while holding the throttle open. This will keep the turbo spinning while being less stressful on the engine and other bits than a traditional ALS implementation.

I will ask Steve Simpson who is supplying and mapping these systems if this will be affected.
Yeah, it all depends on the severity. As you say, there's a compromise between wear and tear and the effectiveness of systems like this. Same goes for gadgets like launch control. Sounds like a cool toy to have, but if it starts stripping gears or snapping driveshafts you might be slightly less happy.

Do you want a daily driver you can take quarter miling at weekends, or are you building an out and out drag car (with all the associated caveats about regular component replacement)? It's an important question for any potential customer to ask before they get their ECU mapped.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 2/2/2004 12:23:38 AM]