Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Turbo Manifold Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2001, 11:28 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Dont' ya just hate it when you cant find that right word?

Had a report from PE that the flexible outlet pipe from the Turbo may be blowing.

Without knowing the correct term I've tried searching high and low and can't find any reference (ie delaers, prices, pictures) to this part.
I' sure I found a site yesterday advertising an upgrade in bright red, but i'm buggered if I can find it again!

I'm in the process of budgeting for a SS DP and BB and I need to find out what this part is and how much it costs so that I can get it replaced at the same time as my exhaust upgrade?

Any knight on a white charger available to put me out of my misery, before I ring Steve Hagger (who told me originally) tommorrow and sound a right berk?
Old 24 August 2001, 12:13 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Al,

There are two pipes associated with the turbo, that have "flexible" sections, and both have a tendency to fail.

First is the "up pipe" to the turbo. This is part of the exhaust. If this has failed, it will be a case of hunting around the breakers.

Second is the pipe that connects the turbo, to the intercooler. On UK, and WRX's this is made of plastic. Samco do a replacement kit, which includes the other IC pipes. Most of the better tuning , or mail order suppiers will stock them.

Lastly, you may have seen the replacement turbo "intake pipe". This runs under the inlet manifold on '97 > cars, connecting the air filter to the turbo. This is unlikely to go, unless the turbo has been on, and off several times.

If it has gone, it would have little effect on power, but if left, would almost certainly
cause the turbo to "let go" due to dust/ cr*p hitting the turbo compressor blades.

Mark.
Old 24 August 2001, 12:33 PM
Al Cook
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, Steve did say that it would result in a loss of power if it blew badly.

The aftermarket one I saw did have some re-inforcing.. less flexible, longer lasting etc.

I never thought of using the breakers. I'll try a search on 'up pipe' and see what happens.

Old 24 August 2001, 09:10 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Al,
If memory serves me right, the exhaust feed pipe to the turbo (up pipe) is £160 + VAT from a main dealer.

I helped Sparkplug change his on his MY94 WRX, and its not a 2 minute job.
He was advised NOT to get a 2nd hand one, because as Mark has just said, they are prone to fail.

Its a rather fiddly job to have to repeat the excercise if the repalcement was to fail after a short time.

I suppose if you can get a newish pipe then that lessens the risks.

JapInnovatiuon in Oldham have a couple of spare engines in at the moment, and they may sell you the bit you want.
Ring Dave on 0161 652 0920.

Cheers MTR