Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Turbo Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2001, 11:47 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, my 94WRX has developed a 'noisy' turbo (sounds like bearings) which is also burning oil at an alarming rate!!! Anyway the car is in daily use and I want to spend as little as possible so's not to dent the skyline fund. What are my options? A local garage have confirmed it is a turbo problem. Can I recondition the turbo? Will it last long given the noise (i'll try and stay off boost if that helps!). Assuming it is standard what sort is it? Should I sod it and stick the biggest one I can find on and enjoy the performance and put the skyline off 'til next year?

Thanks in advance...

Jon
Old 23 August 2001, 09:41 AM
macker
Scooby Newbie

Well having just replaced my IHI VF8 with a VF23 Roller bearing I would say stick with the same configuration at least...later turbo's are feed from underneath the manifold and it is a larger job than you would think to convert to this format.

I have a reconditioned VF8 for sale (not the one I blew but the one I bought to replace it before deciding on the VF23), it's had new bearings and been re-balanced etc...I am guessing that complete turbo's are quite expensive over there ? if you can find one (this one was fitted to a 94 WRX Ra version.

They are not difficult to replace yourself and you only need to buy 2 gaskets before fitting a replacement.

Let me know if you are interested in a complete turbo for around 200 pounds..plus freight.
Old 23 August 2001, 02:24 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

I maybe interested, how long does the job take? And where are you? Is the VF8 a big turbo or does the VF23 make the car much more powerfull/responsive?

Also very interested in knowing how long my turbo is likely to last, as I feel a skyline looming!

Jon
Old 23 August 2001, 02:39 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It took about 2.5 to 3 hours for Steve Lawson to change my turbo, if that helps!

cheers
Andy
Old 23 August 2001, 05:20 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andy...U didn't do it yourself then? *tssk*

I changed minde in 3 hrs, and I've never done it before.

Only thing that was a pain was the oil return, DAMN stupid design...you'll know what I mean.

/J