Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

please help ! need 300 bhp ....

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 09:07 AM
windy75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi guy,s
i know this has been done on here a million times but when searching through the posts there's always something different on peoples cars .

i have a my98 , with haward and scott pipe from turbo back, itg panel filter ,and lightened flywheel . to achieve my goal do i need a bigger intercooler and ecu , or can i have my original one mapped .also does the turbo on this car have enough grunt or does this have to be changed also

any help on this would be much appreciated
cheers in advance

Old 30 January 2004, 09:42 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I take it that this is a uk turbo?
Well, its not going to be cheap if thats what you mean but it is possbile.
First starting place is the brakes, your looking at a minimum of 700 quid to upgrade here to be able to help with the power, then you will need an uprated clutch in most cases (450 quid) your turbo isnt up to it so you will need to replace that (500+) and if you wanted to go for a fmic kit thats around 1000 quid. Your then pretty stuffed as you need a mappable ecu, and as the my97/98 cars are in a bit of a dark spot for this your looking at a new/second hand ecu like a link (700-1200 quid without mapping).

Its probably cheaper for you to sell your car and buy an sti of the same age, which will give you slightly under 300bhp but without the hassle of then wondering if your gearbox can take the strain.....

Tony
Old 30 January 2004, 10:35 AM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

Think that's a bit over the top.
Depends what level of safety you want.
Brakes aside on top of what you already have, to get 280ish all you need is a boost guage, a knocklink and a dawes, say £200.
Above that to get 300 to 310ish you need to change the turbo to something like a TD05 or VF35, say £500 and the fuel pump, say £120.
The standard ecu is fine up to this sort of level.
If you want to go beyond this safely then it'll get expensive - ecu, intercooler, injectors etc etc & gearbox & clutch not far behind.
People more knowledgable than me have run their 97-98 cars up to over 350 bhp with std ecu and injectors so 300 shouldn't be a problem.
I've run mine like this and only got a flash on the knocklink after 10 laps of Oulton.
Mark
Old 30 January 2004, 10:37 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

For 300bhp you'll need to swap the turbo for it to be reliable at that level, but you can keep the standard ECU and intercooler, although i woul change the intercooler hosing to Samco ones. Standard clutch is ok to this point also as long as you aren't a hooligan with it.

You will most certainly need a knocklink, boost gauge and I would also fit an uprated fuel pump.

You'll need a fuel cut defender and some way of increasing the boost, such as a Dawes or electronic boost controller.

Do all that and 300bhp is more than achievable.

Cheers Rich
Old 30 January 2004, 11:09 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I dont think anything i put was ott, if anything it was the offering of the fmic rather than saying stick with the tmic, but the brakes will set you back an arm and a leg (i believe Rich runs AP 6 pots on both cars? )
I also feel that putting prices will give a good estimate of the cost, the turbo will set you back 500+ quid and even though the standard ecu may cope quite well with the above, going too far out from what the td04 turbo runs will cause you big problems. The clutch may last as Rich states, as long as your not a hooligan but id still upgrade this along the way, and no matter what, for fully reliable power your looking at 3-4k

Tony
Old 01 February 2004, 08:34 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your brakes are in good condition and the car is driven sensibly, standard brakes are quite adequate.
Think about replacing the clutch when and if it starts giving you a problem. John Pye Motorsport in Bishop Auckland will do a good quality clutch for £300 fitted same day. I believe Scooby Clinic can do something similar.
If you want a Front Mount Intercooler these are available for around £500 delivered. The top mount is capable of supporting 300 bhp and a good front mount is a safety insurance policy and will support more power than you are planning for. An FMIC on its own does not add power.
Rich Wild has modified two cars over 300 bhp that I am aware of so he knows what he is talking about from his own experience.
A TD05 can be picked up second hand for £150 - £250, check and overhaul if necessary £100 maximum. Front entry if you want to go that way £70.
If you need info on turbos, intercoolers etc e-mail me.
Old 02 February 2004, 11:36 PM
windy75
Scooby Regular

hi
i've only got pc at work so haven't been able to reply but thanks for the opinions . would i be better of with a top mounted intercooler instead of the original ? and also i spoke to some one today that mentioned a remap , would it be better than banging a huge turbo on and possibly doing some damage ? as safety is fairly high up the list of priorities ! the car already has an STI clutch so that shouldn't be a problem . i look forward to your comment's

Cheers Windy
Old 03 February 2004, 10:00 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm also looking to get 300BHP out of my MY00 Impreza. Its just had a remap at Power Engineering and it has a K&N panel filter and full de-cat exhaust. Before the map the car was running quite a healthy 250 and after the map she is now running 270 with boost increased to 16PSI from about 12PSI.

Before I had the mapping work the first things I bought were a Knocklink and a Boost gauge as recommended by those on SN. I've also got oil press, oil temp and AFR to be fitted.

As for getting that extra 30BHP plus an equal amount of torque I too want reliabilty and a good margin of safety. So I'm planning the following mods however make and spec I'm yet to decide but I'd like to stick to a budget.

Uprated Turbo
Front Mount Intercooler
Bigger Injectors and uprated pump/regulator
Remap of TEK2 ECU (Standard ECU with custom map)
Plus anything else to improve reliabilty (Aquamist? I/C waterspray?)

As far as I know I think your only issue maybe that 98 cars are a bit awkward when it comes to ECU mapping but I think its been solved by those who know. You shouldn't really fit anything like turbos etc without getting the ECU mapped accordingly as this will lead to damage.

That should allow for 300BHP maybe more but I intend to limit the output to 300 as I believe any more will put too much stress on the transmission.

Last edited by EddScott; 03 February 2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03 February 2004, 03:13 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
That should allow for 300BHP maybe more but I intend to limit the output to 300 as I believe any more will put too much stress on the transmission.
but a second hand gear box is fairly cheap, unless you are going the whole hog and want a 6 speed JDM. i have been told these are fairly unbreakable.

cheers

big sinky