Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

94 WRX - Emissions help please

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2004, 02:06 PM
Clunker
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I have a 94 WRX with an HKS air filter + ninja back box. It will not pass the emissions test. The CO2 readings are fluctuating all over the place. I know this has been talked about loads but every topic in the search results ends without the final cause ever being posted !
I have had the throttle position sensor and a genuine Subaru lamda sensor with the earth re-done. All the sensor wiring has been checked and there are no obvious hose faults to be found. The only thing not done yet is replace the plugs - will this make such a huge differance ? My local garage seems to reckon the ECU may be faulty but the car runs sweet as a nut ?? The only gadget on the car is a turbo timer which I know nothing about.

Please help or I will have to sell the car and rubbish Subaru forever.

Thanks
Old 29 January 2004, 03:03 PM
Benno
Scooby Regular

Clunker
I spoke with my local MOT testing station the other day to confirm what has been suggested on several posts on scoobynet and they said that early imports mine is MY95 do not require the emissions test. I know this is no solution to why the readings are fluctuating but if you believe the car is running fine it might be worth mentioning this to the garage to bypass the whole issue. If you do a search on de-cat & MOT you will find some more info on this.
Benno
Old 29 January 2004, 04:39 PM
Clunker
Scooby Newbie

Cheers, Unfortunately the test in S. Ireland are run by government agencies and no car gets by without good emissions. Surely somebody knows how to fix this problem as it's been mentioned so many times...

Old 30 January 2004, 11:43 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

There should be a connector below the steering column that you can connect to lean down the mixture to get through the emission test. Unfortunately I don't know which connector it is (there are a few under there).