Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2001, 12:18 AM
mkk33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

sounds like there is some hessitation when you step on the acc. felt this happen in my wrx before especially when the engine is cold.

can't really give any suggestions, probably need to get some expert advice.
Old 15 August 2001, 11:44 AM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Question

Hello All

I have an Impreza turbo Catalunya and was wondering why my car feels a lot faster if you gently feed in the accelerator pedal slowly.
If I am light on pressing the accelerator pedal it feels quick otherwise it doesn't.
Anyone else had this ??? seems like a weird characteristic of the engine power delivery.

cheers

Gary
Old 15 August 2001, 01:44 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Yup, mine does the same. I am having trouble in re-educating myself not to dump the pedal when changing down.

It was explained a while ago that the ecu has a 'Feature' in it that stops maximum boost unless you press, lift, press again. even doing this, the car feels and goes quicker with easing the pedal down.

If you had a V12, I don't think it would matter which you did.

P.
Old 15 August 2001, 07:40 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Hi Gazza,

How long have you had your Cat?
What number have you got?
I've got 202 which is a another story!
Outta curiosity, have you tried a 30-70 time from second, and what did you do, as mine seems dismal at 6.5 !!!!!

Cube.
Old 15 August 2001, 09:28 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Cube,

Loads of things could be affecting your time. Boost, petrol octane, humidity, dirty filter.

Second in the large turbo model doesn't IMO seem to get going until 40mph. At 45-50 we have take off, 70 arrives in a couple of seconds. Specially with SS DP.

Must admit to never having tried a 30-70.

P.
Old 16 August 2001, 10:27 AM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys.

Cube ... I have number 99, only had it 5 weeks. Previous car was a sierra 4x4 RS Cosworth, still have in my garage.
I found that the 2nd gear acceleration is rubbish. First and Third gear seems to be the best on mine.
What type of turbo are on these models, same as the other standard turbo models ??
Some days the car goes like a rocket. I presume it's to do with humidity, petrol and stuff as Sith mentioned. All my previous turbo cars had varying power levels.

Cheers

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gazza_W (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 07:02 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Question

Cheers Sith,

Yeah I've considered most of these. Boost - not gotta boost gauge(yet!) but I'm gonna get it verified shortly, RON - I've been using SUL (but no octane booster), humidity - can't say, but it was a cool dense feeling evening at the last try, filter - changed 800 miles ago, but it's standard at the mo. My bro-in-law gets regular mid to low 5's in his MY94 WRX (standard apart from exhaust) and a mate's GTiR about the same (HKS induction kit only), so I'm a little miffed
About the turbo, how do you know what model it is, I beleive the Cats got the smaller more responsive units along the the MY97 facelift. Can anyone confirm this and tell me exactly what model it could be.

G_W, yeah I know what you mean about the differing sense of performance from day2day and even on the same day. I put some of it down to heatsoak, idling for any length of time or pootling in traffic always results in tardy performance until some airflow gets into to enginebay.
About your Cat Gazza, is it still completely standard? Do plan to do any mods at all? I wrestled with keeping it fully original, to help keep its' limited edition residual high, but have now decided to do some mods and keep the orig bits and offer them when I get rid. Things like the nasty 15" gold alloys, had to go. If they were 16's may have kept 'em but I decided on some 17" Technomags in gunmetal grey, which suits black quite well, they only other cosmestic mods I'm toying with are a possible high level or maybe an STi5 type spoiler/wing, and clear indicators and repeaters. Everything else has/will be performance based. Gotta be a downpipe and full system next I think.

Cube.
Old 17 August 2001, 11:00 AM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Cube

My Car is completely standard apart from 17inch Speedline Prodrive gold alloys with 205/45 Pirelli tyres. Also has a higher spoiler that the usual one.
I have a picture of it at work on my pc and will post it on here.

Cheers

Gary

p.s. Where abouts in Manchester are you. I live in Hyde !!!
Old 17 August 2001, 04:56 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Smile

G_W

The Speedlines, are they the 6/12 spoke items? Nice. I'd like to see your pics.
Other than a Cat featured in Banzai magazine, all the others I've seen have retained the low level spoiler. I'm half and half about fitting a larger item, but it's not a priority at the mo.

I live in the Worsley region. There's a few others around here, we'll have to arrange a meet sometime.

Last year around March or April, I did see about 7 or 8 Scoobys in the carpark of Fatty Arbuckles at Salford Quays. Anyone from this BBS per chance?
Old 18 August 2001, 05:09 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Its true, if you hold revs between at a constant 35mph or so for more than 3 sec and then floor it, you'll only get half boost. This is to allow the car to pass driveby noise reg's.

The test is as follows. Drive in 2nd or 3rd gear (depending on number of gears, in the Scooby, its 2nd gear) at a constant 50kmh approaching a marker. Once you pass this marker, "increase the throttle as quickly as possible to max". The microphones are located some distance down the line by the side, and the dB level must not exceed a certain point.

Subaru gets round this test by programming the ECU to limit boost when it detects that this test is being carried out. You try it - 50kmh in second gear for 3 sec, and then floor it! You'll ALWAYS get half boost - very obvious with a boost gauge.
Old 19 August 2001, 05:33 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Cube,

I think the Cat has got the smaller turbo.
The WRX will have the larger turbo. The smaller runs out of go earlier than the larger, the larger though has more lag. If the WRX has something like the SS system fitted then it will get good figures as it allows the turbo to spin up earlier and stronger.

While I was out earlier, 2nd certainly felt quite lively from 30. (And I think I'm not boosting properley.) Still don't have a boost gauge.

P.
Old 19 August 2001, 07:23 PM
Gazza_W
Scooby Regular

Hi Cube

I have the 6-spoke ones fitted to my car. I have found that they corrode very easily and need to get them re-painted one day. I am surprise how bad some of the alloys have corroded so badly on my car. I haven't a clue how old the alloys maybe,but they are bad around the centre cap.. loads of paint bubble and stuff !!

Yeah we'll have to meet some time.

Cheers mate

Gary