Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Revolution SS systems

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2001, 08:40 PM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is any one using a Revolution Motorstore full ss system? Or does any one know anything about them? I think they claim about 39bhp on a STI, Seems an awful lot to me! Im thinking of getting one as the price is only about £460, Do tell me the knowledge.
Cheers.
Old 11 August 2001, 11:42 AM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

I have the revolution full SS system on my UK MY99, and it did make a big difference.

I was recently rolling roaded at Star performance with 240 BHP and 239lbs/ft, with no other mods apart from the exhaust, so it is more like a +20 bhp increase (roughly).

The fit was excellent, although like other downpipes you have to modify the heat shield around the turbo to get it to refit.

I think the +39 BHP increase quote was off an STI running 1.5 Bar, but i definately felt the difference.

Gareth

[This message has been edited by Gareth Allan (edited 11 August 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gareth Allan (edited 11 August 2001).]
Old 11 August 2001, 12:03 PM
5door98
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Can't tell you about the full system but I have a revolution motorsport front pipe.

I already have a performance back box which was fitted on the car by AF Noble in Scotland according to previous owner. I wanted a performance gain without messing with chips/engine mods etc. Had the downpipe fitted. I don't know if this is part of the system you refer to. Now, I am no mechanic but apparently it feeds back into the turbo making it spin up more quickly (feel free to correct me anyone). All I know is that it pulls strongly from very low revs when driving hard and reduces downshifts when overtaking on motorway (I do a lot of North -> London runs so this is a bonus for me).

Pros and cons depends on your viewpoint so I'll just list the noticable changes:

1. Car pulls strongly from very low revs. You don't have to wait for the turbo anymore. This actually makes swift progress easier, and makes hard driving fabulous as it pulls hard from the off. I'm sure there are figures revolution could quote but on the grin-ometer I smiled so wide the top of my head nearly fell off.
2. Significant increase in noise. A splendid bellow on a hard acceleration although the AF Noble box was hardly quiet. Be interested what the experience is with standard system and Revolution downpipe only. Make your own decision but in my config it ain't discrete!!
3. Turbo whine is significantly different. The increase in air through Turbo makes it higher pitched with a slight tick to it and despite my early concerns it has grown on me. Maybe I spent to many hours watching the car scenes in Mad Max 1 as a teenager :-)

4. I expected an economy penalty with all this action under the bonnet but I regularly do long runs in near identical conditions and I think economy has actually improved. Probably due to one less cat in the system.

I know the above is a little lacking in figures and technical stuff but as there were few replies to your post I thought I'd throw in my ten bobs worth. Also, if any of the above is incorrect due to my lack of knowledge please feel free to correct me. I know how harmful a lack of knowledge can be and Glen and the boys at revolution were great even after my kids had rearranged their leaflet holders several times while waiting!!

Old 11 August 2001, 05:43 PM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

hi,
I now have one of these fitted,
did it in two sections.
Firstly mid and rear bits,great noise but in my opinion not real gain in power.
Secondly the down pipe!
Well now we are talking!
even deeper sounding and almost a metallic sound a bit like my motocross bike (2 stroke)
turbo spins up a little quicker but once it reaches boost pulls much sharper and harder.
When changing gear up there is a lot less turbo lag, before the turbo seemed to almost stop, now it is still not perfect but much better.
Well worth the money, Keith.
Old 13 August 2001, 10:58 PM
5door98
Scooby Newbie

Big_Snapper... has anyone else driven your car since you had it fitted? I have been driving mine for a month or so now with the revolution downpipe fitted (see above post) and wasn't really aware of the fantastic sound until yesterday. Had to haul some kit so swapped scoob with girfriends Espace and heard her pull away (she doesn't hang around :-) ) Was astonished at the deepness of the sound. Although I wanted performance, not noise there was something deeply satifying about the racket. I even heard the burble as she backed off 100yds down the street. You rarely hear your own car from the outside. Think I'm regressing to a teenager (some years ago is that!!) by getting excited about the sound of my car.

Also enjoyed a run through the tunnels on a business trip to B/ham in the hot weather with the back windows down.

Does this make me nearly as sad as the Nova Boys? Or is it the anonimity of the net that lets me rave about something that would make me a w***er down the pub?!!!!!
Old 13 August 2001, 11:18 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

All though I don't as yet have Glenn's (Revolution) set up yet, I can vouch that it will definatley give bhp and power gains.

Through the long development of the exhaust, about 1 year (various trips abroad), Glenn with the final version put his standard STi on the rollers which kicked out about 270bhp, they then fitted the downpipe and exhaust (on the same day, and same rolling road) and it produced just over 300bhp, he was chuffed to bits as you can imagine.

Well worth the price as well !!!!!!!!.

Muddy. (with the Revolution test car!!!)
Old 14 August 2001, 06:35 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Question

Big_Snapper,
Do you have the Revolution full system, or is it another make etc?
If it is the Revo system, what's the backbox and tailpipe like?
I'm considering this setup also.
Is their downpipe a twin dump system?
How hard was it to fit or did they do the fitting?

Regards,

Cueball.
Old 14 August 2001, 09:25 PM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies,
It is a full revolution system, down pipe and the rest.It all fitted very easily and correctly I had the oval tail pipe, due to the lack of round ones, it is about 6`x4` but it looks just right, not too big which was of great concern to me, it is so sad when you see a tail pipe you can walk up.
The whole lot fits nice and close to the car even around the rear suspension, which i need as the car gets driven hard through country lanes.It is a twin dump design the second pipe being about two inches long. What difference the length makes i have no idea, perhaps some1 could tell me. Yes i have listened to the sound thanks to a very pregnant Caroline,makes your hair stand on its end, very deep and raspy but not too loud.I dont have much knowledge of other pipes but this has to be good value.I can also say that they gave me good service, If you have seen the thread about them.
Keith.
Old 15 August 2001, 07:32 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the feedback Big_S.

I feel some custom maybe put RM's way very soon

Now all I've gotta do is get it past the missus

Cube.
Old 16 August 2001, 12:12 PM
5door98
Scooby Newbie

Cube,
Have it fitted then tell her there's a hole in yer exhaust and while crouching down to trace it your wallet fell from your pocket and you lost £250.00 + . Tell her you love her too much to spend money getting it fixed and that you will put up with the noise for a year or two because thats how much you care for her.

Feel free to post should you need further marital guidance.

My wife complained about my scooby. I am now divorced.

Old 18 August 2001, 11:20 PM
cube
Scooby Regular

Nice excuse 5door98 but I'll try the 'It's just a back box for 90 quid " route first!

Oh dear after reading the rest of your post I'm not too sure that's very wise of me now

Cube.
Old 19 August 2001, 12:06 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Hey cube go for it! im having mine done im just going to drive slowly up our lane! failing that the garage replaced the exhaust under warrenty, make sure though you start complaining about your exhaust about a month before its fitted! Goodluck Lee