Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MAF sensor I think!

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 09:44 PM
Damo666
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new purchase, last week (MY99 Turbo), appears to be 'surging' under load. It generally happens in 3rd and 4th gear but not in 1st and 2nd(as they seem to be over with as quick as I'm in them). The car seems to boost then ease off a tiny bit then boost then ease off. It only happens 2 or 3 times in one gear. I am a bit worried, but is it likely that this is the MAF sensor (as I have read so much about(this subject seems over done!)) If so would cleaning it do much good!?

Also, if I need to fit a new sensor, how do I reset the ECU? Do I need some special tool!?

Cheers

Damo
Old 29 January 2004, 09:32 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I think the first port of call is to try cleaning your boost/wastegate control solenoid. This involves inducing test mode...

1. Turn ignition off.
2. Connect the green connectors together under your steering column.
3. Turn ignition back on (but engine off).
4. Your fans should start and stop and your relays should start clicking on and off.
5. Pop your bonnet, and look at driver's side suspension.
6. Locate wastegate control solenoid (cylindrical object with a couple of pipes going into it, "clicking" away).
7. Spray brake cleaner (preferably, but WD40 works too) into it whilst it's clicking.
8. Can also remove one of both of the pipes and check for blockages/gunk/oil.
9. Put all back together.

Whilst you've got the greens already connected, you may as well reset the ECU...

1. Turn ignition off.
2. Go back under the steering column, and connect the black connectors together as well.
3. Turn ignition back on as before.
4. Press accelerator to the floor, then half way back up, hold for a couple of seconds, then release.
5. Start engine, and go for a short sensible drive.
6. Wait for Check Engine light to flash, pull over, stop engine.
7. If it flashes consistently, everything's OK.
8. If the flashing sequence isn't consistent, click here to diagnose the fault.
9. Disconnect both black and green connectors, then go for a good drive.

See if there's any difference. Also, if your idle is now all over the place, your MAF could well be shagged.

Hope this helps!
Old 29 January 2004, 10:47 AM
Gangle
Scooby Regular

I had problems with mine when i bought it. Not surging like yours, just really bad consumption and stuttering. I took it for a run at Power Engineering, they did their diagnostic check on it and told me that I needed a new O2 and MAF. The MAF's as you will read are very suseptible to failing, either running rich or lean. They let me try it with the new MAF, no charge for trying, low and behold the car was transformaed.. Now its just the 802 ECU thats pants. There are a few reasons that will cause this on your car, try a few,like suggested on the boost solinoid, search a few posts too. Dont try and clean the MAF as its a film type and brake cleaner only works on the older types.The alternative is to buy a Dawes Devise and do away with the solinoid and run constant boost..!
Old 01 February 2004, 05:44 PM
Damo666
Scooby Newbie

Right, the green connectors...where are they? Is it the big grey connector under the drivers footwell on the right or do I have to remove the steering column shroud to access these green and black connectors!!??

Anybody?!

Cheers

Damo
Old 02 February 2004, 08:37 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

For the first time, you might have to do a bit of yoga to see them...! Try and get into the foot well on your back, looking upwards at the back of the steering column. Along with a load of other wires and looms, you should see them. They're small plastic connectors, male and female, the black ones being the smallest. They're on very short thin wires as well, and might well be tied or taped to the steering column itself. Keep looking, you'll find them eventually...!