How to measure Inlet Temps

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2001, 12:10 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Chaps,

I know a bunch of you measure your inlet temps. What is the quickest and easiest way of doing this (what tool to use, where/how to mount)?

I don't need it to be mega accurate (like Bob R's 1000 readings a second or whatever it was he's got ), just to give me an idea for before and after purposes!!

Any help most appreciated,

Ta,

Matt
Old 17 August 2001, 01:27 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Before and after what?

there are cheap ways, and there are less cheap ways.

I have spa gauges as the gauges have outputs that can be used to control things such as water spray. They arent cheap.

I would say they are accurate too, but at the moment I am having hasssle identifying why two different type probes are reading 4 degrees apart!

I believe you can get through mike @ scoobymania. Alternatively, he may have another suggestion. You could always write to Bob and ask what he uses. I seem to remember him saying once thjat it wasn't rediculously expensive.
Old 17 August 2001, 01:27 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Matt,

If you want a cheap one, Maplin is a good source although make sure it will read upto 70 degrees C as a minimum.

The one Sam and I have is AKO14721 -
Old 17 August 2001, 01:34 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the reply guys....

Adam, before and after new intercooler and then possibly Water Spray.

Gavin, thanks for that. I hadn't thought about the next step which will be water spray which may mean thinking about both together - I may be short sighted to get a temp reader and then ditch it when I go WS which requires it's own one. For that price though, I may just get that and then worry about WS separately when I come to it.

BTW - where do you mount the sensor and how easy is it?

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 17 August 2001, 01:41 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gavin,

Having had a look at the Pro-Them site, that's the kind of thing I was after. Out of interest, where have you mounted the unit?

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 17 August 2001, 02:00 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Matt,

In have the unit mounted where the ashtray used to be - just cut some thin chipboard to fit and sprayed it matt black. Then cut a hole in the middle to fit the unit - looks tidy.

I think everyone is measuring the intake temps from the pipe from the intercooler to the inlet manifold.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 17 August 2001, 02:10 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks again Gavin, I've just mailed you a few questions - hope you don't mind.

Ta,

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 17 August 2001, 02:22 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

My intake temps are measured in the intercooler pipework as close to the throttle body as possible just upstream of where the water injection will be pumped in so it does not affect the reading.

The other sensor is resing in the airbox which ducts air from around the indictaor onto the air filter. It is this one that is permanently 4 degrees too low.

I am thinking about getting another K sensor probe and placing it immediately after the turbo. This will enable me at any time to calculate intercooler efficiency.
Old 17 August 2001, 02:51 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

This probing *lol* business is a bit worrying, what exactly is inserted into the air feed?

Wouldn't it be a Bad Thing (TM), or even a Very BAD Thing (pat pend) if that something broke and got sucked into the engine?

/J
Old 17 August 2001, 03:18 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gavin, cheers, I've just placed an order with Pro-Therm.

Adam, if we make it to PE tomorrow, I'll have a look at how you've mounted your senders. BTW - how do you know that the sensor in the air intake is 4 deg too low? Compared to what?

Matt
Old 17 August 2001, 03:53 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

I agree with 007, which is why I've fitted mine in the pipe that goes to the dump valve. This way if it ever breaks or anything it won't go into the engine. When on throttle the dump valve is closed anyway so the air will pressurise through the intercooler and give a very similar temperature I would have thought. On the FMIC it's located right on the elbow which goes into the inlet maqnifold and there's a take off for the dump valve so the temps passing should be exactly the same.

Nito
Old 17 August 2001, 04:15 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NITO:
<B>I agree with 007, which is why I've fitted mine in the pipe that goes to the dump valve. This way if it ever breaks or anything it won't go into the engine[/quote]

Makes sense, but, any "bits" would then presumably get sucked into the spinning turbo and that is an equally appalling thought !!!!!

Matt
Old 17 August 2001, 04:37 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

The bit you refer to is a K type thermocouple and is a solid piece of metal. What you are suggesting is equivalent to small metal screw sponatneously snapping in half and flying through the engine!

I suppose it is possible, but then there are plenty of concerns to cause more worry. If I were to worry about those too, I would be running a rallye burner instead of an impreza.

Old 17 August 2001, 05:07 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I would be running a rallye burner instead of an impreza.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's a blast from the past

Old 17 August 2001, 05:19 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

007, I like it, btu I'll stick with calling him Jerry, it's more gay :P.

Jerry,

When you have a car as gorgeous as mine you have to give it a good probing at least twice a night, three times on a sunday.

Out of interest, did you get the Bad Thing (TM) thing from Pat? or is it one of your own?

I just wondered because Very Bad Thing (Pat pending) could be Patent pending or Patrick Pending. I was wondering if you could clarify?
Old 17 August 2001, 06:08 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

i got protherm make me a sensor incapsulated in an AL. tube with braided S/S wire, this is very strong and alot better than the standard sensor but also costs more.

i have it slipped under the hose going to the throttle body. the standard sensor's wire got squashed under the jubelli clip.

sam

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 17 August 2001).]
Old 17 August 2001, 06:21 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>007, I like it, btu I'll stick with calling him Jerry, it's more gay :P.

Jerry,

When you have a car as gorgeous as mine you have to give it a good probing at least twice a night, three times on a sunday.

Out of interest, did you get the Bad Thing (TM) thing from Pat? or is it one of your own?

I just wondered because Very Bad Thing (Pat pending) could be Patent pending or Patrick Pending. I was wondering if you could clarify? [/quote]

Haha Adam, when U get to my age you'll maybe have sorted a female to probe.

I think I picked up the Bad Thing and Very BAD thing from reading great stuff by the antilag-madman.

And btw, sod off.

Say hi to Mark for me will ya? I know Ure prolly there using his laptop surfing the net anyway.

/J