Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

sul v nul with PPP

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2001, 06:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had PPP fitted to my MT01 and the dealer has told me that if i switch between super and normal (ie- take a long motorway drive so use normal rather that waste money on super just to sit at 70mph) then it will respond almost straight away- he said 10mins.

whilst this sounds perfect- super for when i want to go faster!- is it right, i heard the ecus take ages to adjust and does so based on the hundreads of miles it has done and so uses an avarge - hence the benift of resets.

this not the case on MY01's ???

tiggs
Old 13 August 2001, 07:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PPP is designed to run on SUL. I have just had it fitted to MY00 and would never put anything else in. In fact in it's first 9500 miles my Scooby only had the first tank as UL and the difference in smoothness and economy was very noticeable - I reckon it pays for itself even on a long motorway run - depending on what price you get the SUL for. I find fuel economy roughly 10% better, but it is difficult to estimate. Even if it costs 1p extra per mile (assuming no improvement in economy), it is not much compared with the 50p+ per mile the car costs to run anyway.
Old 13 August 2001, 08:31 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

The MY01 PPP ECU is totally different to the MY00.

It was designed to run on 95 RON upwards (on an otherwise standard engine) - Subaru UK quote power/torque figures for both 95 and 97 RON in the literature/on their website.

You can run on NUL on the motorway, but when you come off it and go on the twisties you will find you have lost about 20bhp over SUL.

More chance of det with 95 RON, and if you put a decat downpipe on after the PPP and run NUL you potentially have a BIG problem. What price an engine?
Old 13 August 2001, 11:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

dave,

so assuming i leave it at ppp and no other mods then using normal is ok then?

see my point was that on the old car if you used normal then went back to super it took ages to work the power back up due to the ecu taking into account what had gone on before rather thann imideatly adjusting to the better fuel (i think!)

according to my dealer this isnt the case with 01's, so if i couldnt find super then went back to it after a couple of tanks of normal the power should be right back there (allowing for a little normal left in the bottom of the tank)

if this is the case then thats good, otherwise using just one tank of normal will cause a long delay in decent power even if i switch back to super after just one tank.

make sense?!!???

tiggs
Old 14 August 2001, 01:17 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Tell your dealer he a plonka
Your car runs better on sul and is reccommended for 2 reasons, 1 it runs better and is quicker, 2 its more ecenomical!! (cant spell, sorry!!)
Stick to sul, even thou its more expensive it will give you around 50miles more on your range than ul.

Tony
Old 14 August 2001, 08:25 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tiggs:
<B>dave,

so assuming i leave it at ppp and no other mods then using normal is ok then?

tiggs[/quote]

Tiggs
Yes.

I take your other point. The answer is I don't know how quickly the ECU relearns.

The important point I was making is that if you have a full decat system with PPP you probably won't be able to run it safely on 97 RON, never mind 95.

A UK300 has already been fitted with a SS d/p and was spiking at the limits of the ECU map settings. Nothing wrong with the PPP or d/p in isolation, just that the ECU isn't mapped to work with the d/p - and is the reason Prodrive are not happy with it - det = bang = standard d/p replaced = bogus warranty claim....

Old 14 August 2001, 11:14 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Hey Dave T-S!!

Hows life in the fast lane?

This whole PPP/SS & Link stuff does my head in.

How many people actually need their warrenty? Do Scoobys blow up a lot? What are you (dave) going to do if you have say a turbo problem - take it on the chin??

Just a thought!!

Jza

Trending Topics

Old 14 August 2001, 01:00 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yo jza

I'll worry about it if it happens!!
Old 16 August 2001, 09:36 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi,

All the blurb comments that the MY01 has a new, more "intelligent" type of ecu which constantly adapts to fuel quality and all other parameters, unlike the MY00 and before ecu which as far as I understand seemes to take a lowest common denominator and stick with it.

In other words, subaru has finally caught up with the type of ecu used by many other manufacturers

If this is correct, and the new ppp ecu follows similar lines, then an almost instant improvement would be felt with no need to recet the ecu as with the older models.

S

[This message has been edited by Scottie (edited 16 August 2001).]
Old 16 August 2001, 10:13 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

scottie,

hopefully thats true, then if i cant get hold of super or if im plodding up the m-way all day i can use normal and then switch back with no effect.

tiggs