Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Anyone got an Afterburner Vortex?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2004, 07:21 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are they like?
1. Do they really give any extra power over my Ninja for example?
2. I do like the look of the Jap style angled exit. I presume having an angled exit means the tail pipe has no bend in it so gases can escape quicker and on top of this the Vortex has a spiral means of ejecting gases?
3. On a full decat will the vortex give a loud and deep rumble?

smurfy.
Old 24 January 2004, 07:48 PM
Owl28
Scooby Regular

Pappasmurf, I can't really answer your questions but I had my vortex fitted last week and I love it. I'm running just a centre de-cat at the moment and not a full de-cat but I do believe i have noticed a slight gain in performance over the S/S backbox I was running previously. The deep rumble is pretty awesome and it is not too loud once at cruising speed as i do a bit of motorway driving. IMHO go for it but what do I know.

Steve
Old 24 January 2004, 10:30 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

I am tempted to go for something louder before i get old...I'm forty next month.
I saw a lovely Jap Style box on a classic on Saturday coming out at an angle. IMO it looked fantastic and sounded so deep and throaty. I think it was an HKS...it wasn't shiney. Seeing and hearing this is making me think about a Jap style angled exit box with a big deep rumble to it!!....also at the moment i don't have neighbours!
I saw the Vortex advertised and think it looks great.

smurfy.
Old 26 January 2004, 09:06 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Has anyone thourght of starting a group buy on this Afterburner Vortex? There must be loads of people who might want to upgrade there older dtyle Afterburner.
I'm starting to get tempted by the idea of an Afterburner Vortex. Apparently the better design means it doesn't "drone" so much on motorway cruising yet still has the afterburner sound.

smurfy.
Old 26 January 2004, 10:21 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Hi Pappasmurf

I thought I'd drop you a quick reply on your questions, as follows....

What are they like?
1. Do they really give any extra power over my Ninja for example?

Yes, the Ninja is expected to be about the same power output as the previous Afterburner. We performed rolling road tests with a previous Afterburner against the new Vortex design, and this showed that at certain points in the rev range (around 5k) the Vortex was putting out almost 10bhp over and above the previous Afterburner.

2. I do like the look of the Jap style angled exit. I presume having an angled exit means the tail pipe has no bend in it so gases can escape quicker and on top of this the Vortex has a spiral means of ejecting gases?

Indeed, the gases escape much faster and at a more consistent rate than the previous design, due to the lack of bends in the pipework.
The Vortex really comes into effect at around 5.5k rpm, increasing power output. The Vortex spiral and the angled exit result in a much more powerful exhaust than the previous Afterburner (and, therefore we expect the Ninja to be same).

3. On a full decat will the vortex give a loud and deep rumble?
Yes, guaranteed! measured at 93dB on our WRX03 with DP and BB, so full system should be around the 96-98dB mark.

Full details and graphs from the rolling road testing at this link http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/trolley...r_fullspec.htm

Hope this helps

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk

[Edited by NeilT - 1/26/2004 10:23:34 AM]