Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Change of exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 03:40 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi people,

After now having my new MY00 turbo for a couple of weeks, i'm now wanting to throw some money at it, its fitted with a 3.5 magnex rear section with the magnex cat pipe plus resonator, it just doesnt have the volume that i feel an impreza should have, i've bene looking through previous posts, and besides spending a lot of money on a Blitz item, which i dont want to do :-( i have narrowed it down to either the Firestorm, Ninja or Afterburner Vortex. Ninja seems to be priced at £215, Vortex £280 and the Firestorm slightly more. Reviews seem to say that the Ninja is only slightly louder than the Magnex, so i think this may not be for me but reviews on the Vortex seem very promising and is about the limit i would like to spend. Would the Vortex fit ok with my Magnex de Cat centre section? If anyone has one can they shed any advise, good or bad please.

Also, if i do this would anyone be interested in a very good condition Magnex rear section?

Thanks,
Old 23 January 2004, 03:46 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

getting a decat downpipe will make it a LOT louder

removing the resonator will do the same

u dont necessarily have to swap out the backbox if u like the tone of it. volume can be addressed in the above two ways.
Old 23 January 2004, 04:23 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

OK, can the resonator be removed from the centre de cat pipe, or is is a case of purchasing one without a resonator? excuse me if that is a stupid question.

What is a good type of down pipe to purchase?
Can this simply be fitted with no other changes being made, ie remap (i know a remap will do it good after fitting a down pipe but will it do the car harm if not done)
Do you still use the Lambda sensor?
What kind of performance gains will be had with buying a down pipe?
I have seen 2 types, one with just 1 hole and another called a twin dump down pipe with 2 hoes leading to one, can someone please explain what the difference is and why?

Sorry for questions, but i like to understand properly what happens and why as far as performance upgrades before just going out and buying any old bit for my car, i want it to remane running stable and reliable, as we all do i'm sure.

Thanks again for anyone that can answer the above
Old 23 January 2004, 07:18 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Fitting an open neck decat down pipe ( i have an H&S and highly recomend it ) will give the engine considerably more 'roar' and the turbo will kick in much earlier with a lovely 'Wizz' sound.
You will notice a big difference in performance from fitting a decat down pipe. A complete decat exhaust system will add about 30bhp in total with the decat down pipe adding the most bhp and noise.
I have a Hayward & Scott decat D/P, Hayward & Scott decat centre section and a Ninja B/B and i don't think i would want it any louder.
If i was you i would go for a decat down pipe...i think there might still be a H&S group buy still on??? Then listen to your exhaust and go from there.
My Ninja is much louder fully decatted and i'm sure your magnex would be the same.

smurfy.
Old 24 January 2004, 03:11 AM
jackieFMbrunei
Scooby Regular

switch 2 full de cat m8, from turbo back! then jus allow ur grin gets wiiidddeeerrrrrrr heheh

n if its a my03/4, lots of talk about a 3.5" system as it gives almost negligible back-pressure

i thnk i saw sumwhere a "straight" system a while ago from jpan, jus need 2 fit 2 the dwnpipe dats all

[Edited by jackieFMbrunei - 1/24/2004 3:13:20 AM]