Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

cat loss on P1

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2001, 03:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I have just fitted a mongoose ss exhaust on my P1. It originally came off of my old sti5typeR and was from the cat back.

I believe the sti had two cats, one which was removed when the mongoose went on. On the P1 it seems that there is only one cat, and when the mongoose was fitted on, this was removed. Its quite a good fit. However am i invalidating the warranty,by removing most of the original exhaust, or am i gonna do any damage as the car was set up to run with a cat? I also want to put on a cone air filter. Will the car have to be re-tuned to accommodate these mods?
Old 17 July 2001, 03:58 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The P1 has a cat in the downpipe and, I believe, a cat in the centre section so by the sounds of it you'll have at least one cat still in the DP.

Cone filters (induction kits) are frowned upon by Subaru UK, and dealers have had a technical bulletin telling them to remove if fitted to prevent MAF failures. So your MAF would be unwarrantied if you fit one at the very least - check with your dealer.

Regarding the exhaust and warranty/tuning, I'm a bit unsure as to what's replaced. Do you mean from the turbo back? Or just the back box?

If you've freed up the exhaust significantly by changing the downpipe etc, I'd personally be tempted to run a knocklink and lambdalink to ensure that you've not got a problem with det and that the extra breathing isn't causing your mixture to run too lean. Adding an induction kit will only move you more towards the lean danger point...

Knock/lambdalink are available from Scoobymania (http://www.scoobymania.co.uk) and BR Developments (http://www.brdevelopments.com)

Hope this helps - if you could clarify the exhaust point then it may make things clearer.
Old 17 July 2001, 05:01 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
chiark
The exhaust is a mongoose stainless with a 4" tail. It came in two sections,mid and tail, but is not from the turbo back. The linking point was just before where the standard exhausts cat starts. So when the mongoose was fitted there was no cat (it was taken off with the standard pipe)

Regarding the air filter, whats a MAF? (nothing to do with mad cow disease is it lol ) No seriously, I have never heard of that term before.Regarding the tests you mentioned,a knocklink and lambdalink, would a subaru garage do this as its going for its 1,000 mile service tomorrow in Aylesbury?
Old 17 July 2001, 05:04 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scoobynutta555:
<B>chiark
The exhaust is a mongoose stainless with a 4" tail. It came in two sections,mid and tail, but is not from the turbo back. The linking point was just before where the standard exhausts cat starts. So when the mongoose was fitted there was no cat (it was taken off with the standard pipe)

Regarding the air filter, whats a MAF? (nothing to do with foot and mouth disease is it lol ) No seriously, I have never heard of that term before.Regarding the tests you mentioned,a knocklink and lambdalink, would a subaru garage do this as its going for its 1,000 mile service tomorrow in Aylesbury? [/quote]

Old 17 July 2001, 05:18 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The MAF = mass air flow meter. It is used by the ECU to work out how much air is going into the engine. This then determines the fuelling level for certain conditions (notably off boost and under a certain rev limit - above this and on boost the ECU runs a fixed map)

MAF failures are quite common on MY99 and MY00 cars (such as the P1) when replacing the airbox with an induction kit. Turbulent airflow, contamination of oil from filters, substandard filtration and vibration are suspects as to why.

You still have a cat in the downpipe which is nice to know come MOT time in three years. Significant gains for P1s have been reported by replacing this... However, personally I'd want to check that I wasn't running lean...

The knocklink is a separate unit that tells you whether you're suffering from det (aka detonation, pinking or pinging) in your engine. This is where the charge ignites before the spark, putting massive strain on engine components as they'll be forced to move when they're not designed to... Most common reason for det is too low an octane at high revs. Knocklink is a sensor that straps onto the engine and a box of tricks the size of a *** packet with LED lights that light up if your engine is suffering. Gives you a warning to back off...

Lambalink splices into the factory lambda sensor and tells you whether you're running rich or lean. Lean = bad . You could possibly run lean by allowing the car to breathe better (different less restrictive exhaust plus air induction kit) which is why I'm fitting one following backbox and induction kit on my turbo MY00.

Hope this helps,

Nick.
Old 17 July 2001, 06:05 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a pipercross cone that was fitted to my last car a 98 's', so its recommended that cones are not used? Shame, I liked the idea of having a tad more power and loved the noise it made!
You are very informative on scoobs, very useful information to know indeed, i appreciate your time in helping me. How much would one of these knock sensors cost fitted?
Old 18 July 2001, 08:35 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

PiperX kits have been associated with cars suffering from MAF failure on the MY99 or MY00 because the MAF sensor type changed from being a hot wire sensor type (as in your old MY98) to a hot film sensor (MY99&gt; ) - hot film seems to be more easily damaged by vibration/contamination...

I've picked up a bit of info in my time here, but the really knowledgeable ones are on a different plane - see the big end failure thread

HKS, Blitz and PiperCross induction kits are all known to have been fitted to cars which have suffered MAF failures. I'm running a K&N kit which is about the cheapest and, touch wood, hasn't had failures reporting on Scoobynet yet...

Paul McLoughlin at Mac's Power over in Eire sells an induction kit and guarantees your MAF, so it may be worth dropping him a mail?

Speak to your dealer and see what they'd think as you probably don't want to lose the warranty on your P1!

Knocklink sensors are about 130 quid from Scoobymania, and fitting is a case of strapping a sensor to the engine that's a bit like a stethoscope, then running wires into the passenger compartment for the *** packet light thingy. When it arrives, I'll put a guide to how to do it on my website, but I suspect it'll be less than an hour's job once you know where it's possible to run cables from/to.