Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Leakinjg header tank

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2001, 03:33 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that the header tank was leaking water today from between the gasket and the metal seal,water temp is normal and the overflow pipe is not blocked, is the header tank cap thermostatic?i.e not allowing overflow/pressure release.How can I check my fans are working can`t recall hearing them lately?
Thanks
Moz
Old 05 July 2001, 04:25 PM
SDOWD
Scooby Newbie

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Moz:
<B>I noticed that the header tank was leaking water today from between the gasket and the metal seal,water temp is normal and the overflow pipe is not blocked, is the header tank cap thermostatic?i.e not allowing overflow/pressure release.How can I check my fans are working can`t recall hearing them lately?
Thanks
Moz[/quote]

Is this plastic header tank on WRX. If yes, then this is a weak Item and damage could be casued by Vibration or possibly failed head gasket. One way or the other you need a replacement. But before you get one take the cap of the tank and run the engine, check if bubbles appear in tank - if yes then you have a gasket problem. If no then replace tank.
SD
Old 05 July 2001, 04:45 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

With the cap off and revving the engine a mass of foaming bubbles appear in the tank, so a busted head gasket do you think?
Old 05 July 2001, 05:11 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Car runs normal temperature even after 100 miles continuous driving, water level is constant .no bubbles at idle but higher revs theres loads more like froth.
Cheers for the advice, just want to try and tie it down before looking at getting it fixed.