Dry sumping a scooby

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2001, 11:49 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

<I>another question from the weird and wonderful world of Markus™</I>

Could you dry sump a scooby, if so then how? how much would it cost. What benefits does it give? what disadvantages are there.

is there any point?

are the WRC cars dry sumped?
Old 05 July 2001, 07:33 PM
Davvers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

There are 2 main advantages in dry sumping - it allows you to run a lower ride height with some cars - the boxer lay out already allows this and is going to be of little advantage in a Subaru.
It also protects against oil surge where oil is slung up the wall of the sump resulting in the possibility of the oil pick up sucking up air instead of oil - this can obviously have disasterous circumstances.

I have a K engined Caterham which is dry sumped, it needs to so it can run the low ride height - and also protects from oil surge - particularly as its now in a N-S configuration when the engine was originally designed to be run transverse.

If you get under the Subaru you will see it has a very deep and square sump pan - it also has a centrally located oil pickup which is baffled - it is a pretty good design to prevent oil surge already.

I run both cars on slicks and the only car that has had problems with oil starvation is the Caterham as the engine really is at its developmental limits.

To fit a dry sump to the subaru would involve a great deal of work I would imagine - you would need to arrange for a scavenge pump to extract the oil from the sump bottom to a seperate oil reservoir - the engine bay is already pretty full.

To sum up, unless you are managing to get amazing G forces around long corners (eg Gerrards at Mallory) I would imagine that it would not be required - you can however buy a more baffled sump and I believe some of the rally teams run these - I have no idea of WRC use.

All IMHO of course!
Having been on many many track days I have never seen a Subaru suffer from terminal oil starvation due to cornering forces

[This message has been edited by Davvers (edited 05 July 2001).]