Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine-out time

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2001, 10:16 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have the engine out to change the hyd. tappet adjusters (I've been told it is quicker overall??). The engine has done a few miles (150k) is there anything alse I should do at the same time?
I thought about the clutch, it has approx 25k of relativly easy miles on it. What about the water pump, oil pump etc. do they go and will it help if these are changed to get a few more miles out of her?
Looking forward to your commments
Alex
Old 22 April 2001, 10:59 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i don't want to dampen your spirits but does it rattle like it is low on oil and then it goes as they fill up and then rattle again coz if it does you may find that changing just the oil pump will cure it. i myself have never changed hyd, tappits in a subaru.
L SERIES subarus were really common for this and it was just coz the oil pump had worn. but if you are sure it is worn tappits then changing the oil pump any way would not hurt.
Old 23 April 2001, 08:58 AM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoobyboy, thanks for your thoughts, this had crossed mind mind too. What is the L series engine (is it the 2.2ltr?), mine in the EJ20G (I think). Is it a easy job to change the oil pump?
Old 23 April 2001, 04:52 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

Old 23 April 2001, 10:51 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the l series engine is a ver old engine with 2 cambelts.
to change the oil pump take off the timing belt and the crank gear and you are then looking at the pump which is held in place by 10mm bolts. tap it off looking for a small o ring near the bottom left hand corner replace the o ring and the seal check the phillips headed screws on the back are tight smear some liquid gasket around the edge and reinstall making sure that the lip on the seal doesn't flip over as you push it back over the crank and rebuild not difficult but time consuming and probably cheaper than replacing the tappits.