Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

wastegate solenoid..again!

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2001, 08:58 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this has been done to death, but cant find what I'm after on a search. Had a turbo change the other day, on my way back from the garage I heard a rapid clicking noise from off side front as the turbo boosted. It's obviously the wastegate solenoid, but why should it suddenly start playing up? Is it some crap from the second hand turbo I had fitted gumming up the works? If so whats the prescribed method for cleaning it out? Also, I noticed that the rubber hose from the wategate to the solenoid, due to a diferent fitting looks a bit tight, creating a tight angle that might restrict air to the solenoid ( if you know what I mean). Could that be a contributing factor? Other than that car drives perfectly, 16 psi boost ( car remapped a long time ago), no cutting out, just this bloody ticking thats driving me up the wall!! As always, thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 20 April 2001, 09:48 PM
Simon
Scooby Regular

What year/model car?

Try checking under the dash on the drivers side. There should be 2x green wires and 2x black wires, connecting one of these (can't remember which) pairs together (i.e. green to green or black to black) will activate the wastegate cleaning which will cause it open and close quickly, and will result in the noise you describe. Ensure both are disconnected as who ever fitted the turbo may have left them connected.

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon (edited 20 April 2001).]
Old 21 April 2001, 10:03 AM
mark245
Scooby Regular

cheers Simon, few more details. Car is a Uk MY94 but has recently had later spec inlet manifold, intercooler , turbo etc , all done at Scoobysport who did a fantastic job ( cheers lads) and when completed was like a factory job. No problems whatsoever until I swapped turbos ( from a VF 24 to a tdo4). I know the mechanic who fitted the new turbo did not touch the connectors ( check mode), also I believe if I was in that mode not only would my wastegate solenoid be clicking but fans cycling, air con compressor clutch, fuel pumps etc etc. When I checked this morning, it seems thhe w/gate solenoid is clicking at tickover revs now ( i.e all the time) whereas yesterday it seemed to start as the turbo started to produce positive boost pressure.
I am fairly certain that some dirt etc has got in the solenoid as the oil started to circulate the newly fitted ( 2nd hand) turbo. Anyone had similar symptoms and what is the best way of cleaning it out? I have read about brake cleaning fluid down the 3 pipes then taking the car for a blast ,others mention not driving to clear the solenoid but to carry out the system check whilst the brake cleaning fluid does its job? Prefer the driving method as have already taken 1 dash panel and only located 1 single black plug, and looks like I may have to delve behind the radio area where groups of plugs have been cable tied together by previous radio installer!!Many thanks, Mark
Old 21 April 2001, 06:48 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Sorry to bore everyone with this but.... Just put some brake cleaner fluid into the solenoid pipe and went for a thrash. The situation seems worse if anything, the clicking is still there but although I am getting up to 17psi peak boost, the wastegare seems to dump boost very quicly, slight lift on the throttle and theres a hooshing noise. Can I conclude the w/gate solenoid is sh@$$ed? If so, is it possible to swap for the later 3 port type?

Regards, Mark
Old 23 April 2001, 10:44 PM
ad
Scooby Regular

Question

While we are on the subject, I took my MY98 in for service today and asked them to investigate the clickety clackety noise that has been present since I got my car (from tickover to about 1800 rpm. Fearing the worst (piston slap)and in a state of non-spleepitis I was relieved to hear that it diagnosed as a faulty wastegate solenoid ("the noisiest we have ever heard", said garage bloke type person) which will be replaced asap under warranty.
My question is this (in view of the electronickery advised above) why does my wiper motor relay now "clunk" on each cycle??
It wasn,t raining until I got home which is after the garage closed.