Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

To GavinP re your Dawes MBC

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2001, 09:47 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Gavin, read your earlier posts and just wanted to clarify. You've fitted your Dawes device so that the wastegate does not see any pressure until about 7-8psi, thereby avoiding wastegate creep and giving you faster spool-up, then after 7-8psi the MBC opens and the wastegate is under ECU control -- is that right?

I ask because the Dawes is very popular with the US Saab turbo community. Most of those guys seems to simply put the Dawes in the turbo to wastegate line, bypassing the solenoid etc so that boost is controlled entirely by the Dawes. I don't like the idea of disabling the ECU boost control function in case of uncontrolled knock ....
Old 23 October 2001, 12:57 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Brickboy,

That is the idea exactly - using it as an "wastegate creep controller" . It is however an idea because I haven't tried it on my car yet...

I'm running with the boost solenoid disconnected as well at present - but at fairly low boost (15psi with a Link ECU). I also have a Knocklink installed.

Hopefully next weekend I'll get to change it over to see the result. The result should be similar to having a non-leaking adjustable wastegate.

I know that the Subaru wastegate spring is set for about 7 psi on my 94 WRX but please be wary as other cars and turbos will have different springs and opening pressures.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 23 October 2001, 03:35 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks Gavin -- please report how you get on, as it's interesting stuff. Apparently Saabers use the Dawes because certain models have only limited boost available in 1st & 2nd gear, presumable to limit wheelspin and prevent "unintended acceleration" (roll of eyes here).

To get round this you either spend $$$ on a new ECU, or $35 on a Dawes ... no contest.