Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Magnex Exhaust System/Downpipes/Induction Kits !!??!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2001, 12:11 AM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thanks guys.

As i'm not such a hands-on scooby nut just yet I don't really want to be changing exhausts for MOT's. Also i've heard that the rozzers can fine you silly amounts of money and give you points if they catch you without a cat. Also is it possible to get a less restricted downpipe that has a cat or is this just not worth it? If the car will pass the MOT with just the rear cat maybe it's not??

I just really want to build an exhaust to enhace performance and give a little grumble without the MOT and rozzer worries.

Any suggestions on which parts, from which company and an idea of cost?

Maffa
Old 14 April 2001, 07:49 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Maffa
Have just replied to a post on the same subject. See exhaust options. Any way your exhast is in three sections, Front or downpipe, mid section and Backbox. The downpipe and mid section both contain catalytic converters. The one in the downpipe being the larger of the two, this can handle the clean up of your exhaust gasses on it's own, the cat in the centre is smaller and may or may not "clean up" your exhaust depending on conditions. As I have said earlier (other post) the quality of the Magnex kit is not in question.

Glen
Old 14 April 2001, 09:10 AM
DARREN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you have a couple of weeks to wait you will easily find a system that youre after on one off the private(for sale) threads
Most of the systems are stainless steel so they will not rot just discolour!!!!
I've just picked up a 2nd hand full Scoobysport system for £300 a bargain when you think they are £711 new.
This system does remove the 2 cats though.
The good thing is more power and pick up.
The bad thing is you will have to put the catted Downpipe and mid back on for mot.
Most people prefer the sound of the Scoobysport,scoobymania,BPM,Hks systems to the magnex.But if maybe you have a baby!!!!! the Magnex is one of the quieter ones(with the resonator centre pipe)
An induction kit won't make a great deal of difference to you power figures,theres not much of a problem with these(pre97)they look good and sound good!!!!!
Hope this helps
Darren
Old 14 April 2001, 09:54 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Darren,
You're right, I have got two kids so the Magnex suits me fine. Also you don't sound too Max Power . You will find that your car will pass it's MOT with just the downpipe cat, in fact the P1 just has this one cat, I am told that the car will pass with just the centre cat as long as the car is good and hot.

Glen
Old 14 April 2001, 12:35 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Question

How does anyone rate the Magnex exhaust system? I'm on quite a tight budget and for the system plus fitting (Cat back) £208.00 seems quite reasonable. Does it give a good grumble?

How exactly is my exhaust (95 UK Turbo) made up as I haven't got a clue what they mean when they say cat back? Does this mean that all I will need is a replacement downpipe to go with it? I'm quite new to the game and all I hear is downpipe,mid-section and backbox. Where does the cat or cats come into play?

Speaking of a downpipe. On a tight budget as I am, what does anyone recommend as I have no idea of the price ranges and performance increase comparisons.

On the subject of increased airflow what is the best reasonably priced induction kit and how do they compare with replacement performance elements. I'm also a little worried by someone saying that a K&N may damage the car due to too much air!!!! Is this really the case??

Maffa
Old 14 April 2001, 01:12 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Maffa
I think that I am right in saying that you wont get points for emmisions non compliance, you may get a fine. You are more likely to be told to put it right and have the car tested at an MOT station, then produce the results to your local police station. Go for the Magnex centre pipe and back box, really you wont be disappointed, price is less than £300 for both parts supplied from Falkland performance centre, and the car will still be emmisions legal

Glen
Old 14 April 2001, 02:13 PM
Col Stone
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Maffa
I've got the Magnex rear section on my 93 WRX it fitted easily, looks and sounds great.
It was the only mod the first time I went on a rolling road and the car was 252bhp unlike the standard 240bhp.
When MOTing some imprezas they fail if the front cat is removed but are OK if only the rear cat is removed.
If you want to see the Magnex on the car I'll be at the sussex meet 6.5.01 at pease pottage 1pm!
Cheers Col.

Trending Topics

Old 14 April 2001, 06:08 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

Col, I look forward to seeing the Magnex in action.

Glen, you say it costs £300.00. So does this mean when they say "full cat back system" this doesn't include the centre section?

Maffa

Old 14 April 2001, 06:54 PM
John 555
Scooby Regular

so which size system would be best for a MY 96 a 3" or a 2.5" system am told the magnex is 2.5" is this correct ??
Old 14 April 2001, 08:30 PM
Col Stone
Scooby Regular

Talking

Me again!
Cat back is really a back box as the 'cat back' is from the centre cat. This is why cat replacement pipes are only £80-£100, as they are a short section.
The cat back is fitted by 2 bolts onto the cat flange. The other thing to remember is when they say full fitting kit it dosn't include this gasket (only about £7 from a dealer)
Col
Old 15 April 2001, 12:50 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Col.

So bearing this in mind and knowing that I want a meaty sound to my car (not to much mind you). Would my £200.00 for a back box and £100.00 on a centre section be better spent on another system.

Also lets say I was lucky and someone was selling a decent second hand one. What ones should I be looking for? Also taking into account what John 555 said, should I be looking for a 2.5" or a 3" (I guess this is the diameter (bore) of the centre section)?

Maffa

Old 15 April 2001, 01:33 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Maffa
go for scoobysport or magnex, both 2.5" bore so doesn't lose too much back pressure which may overboost the turbo, if you get your *** in gear someone is selling on the bbs NOW ,not too far from you either.
glen
Old 15 April 2001, 05:20 PM
seedy man
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Maffa,

I have just fitted a Magnex 3.5" round rear box on mine sourced from Roadrunner, Nottingham.

It was very easy to fit, 2 bolts and 3 rubber clamps. I think it looks identical to the Scooby sport one but, £100 cheaper, which is ideal as your on a tight £££!! As for the sound, I found it seems a low rumble when cold and gets a lot louder when the car's warmed up. I'm well chuffed with mine.

Chris
Old 15 April 2001, 06:01 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Glen,

Thanks for pointing me to the for sale post. I've put an offer in. If I don't get any joy or don't find another bargain by the end of the month I think I may give the Magnex a bash. Although I may wait until i've see Col's.

Chris,

Thanks for letting me know that it has a bit of a grumble coz a lot of people say it's the quiet one and I want a bit of sound.

By the way I forgot to ask. Can anyone recommend a centre section. Also what would be better, replace the downpipe with a non-cat and have one in the centre section or keep a cat on the front and get a straight through centre. I presume that my car should pass an MOT with either.

Matt
Old 15 April 2001, 09:00 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Smile

I think that the car will easily pass an MOT if only the front CAT is left in place because it is the bigger of the 2.

I have read that the centre CAT is a bit too small and you will struggle to pass an MOT with this one only unless the CAT is nice and hot when tested.

Stuart
Old 16 April 2001, 12:21 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Stuart.

Is it possible to get a less restrictive downpipe with a cat included??

Matt

Old 17 April 2001, 08:53 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Maffa,

Graham Goode in Leicestershire do a downpipe with sports cat (I'm considering one myself), but now the bad news, it's £399 + vat. But at least you don't have to pull it off for the MOT. I'm currently running a magnex rear box and midsection and I reckon it sounds great. Not quite as gruff as the Scoobysport one but still enough to make people look round when you boot it.

Richard
Old 17 April 2001, 09:30 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

At present I have a s/s downpipe (lagged) and backbox, but find the combination just a little loud - I`m not into noise just for the sake of it! Am considering replacing the back box with something a little quieter. Is the magnex box noticably quieter? and is there any difference between the 6x4 oval and the 31/2" round in this respect?
Cheers guys JohnD
Old 17 April 2001, 11:11 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Smile

John,

Wouldn't say Magnex system is quiet but I reckon it's a little quieter than the SS system which seems to be raspier at the top end.

According to technical guy at Magnex, 6"x4" oval may be slightly noisier on the motorway than 3.5" oval, but other than that, no different.

Richard
Old 18 April 2001, 08:27 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm using the Magnex bb and centre section - very pleased with both. It is certainly quieter than the SS version, but I think that the resonator in the centre section has a lot to do with that. I drive my car everyday and I think a full on SS system would be too noisy. Whatever bb you choose, I would recommend the Magnex centre with resonator as this does keep the sound at a sensible level (and it will still turn heads in the street ).

Chris
Old 18 April 2001, 06:28 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rich, i'll look into that Graham Goode Downpipe. It does seem a little steep though. Don't suppose there will be many secondhand ones of those floating around? If not i'd better start saving.

Maffa

Old 18 April 2001, 09:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

You chaps running Magnex exhausts, how do you rate the power increase you have felt (including turbo spool up).Also could anybody explain what the definition of a "straight through system" is please.Cheers,Deep.
Old 18 April 2001, 10:07 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Straight through system usually refers to an exhaust which is completely free of all "cata", ie; no restrictions, great air flow (better breathing) superb throaty sound but wont pass an MOT due to emissions. Hope this helps.
Old 19 April 2001, 04:40 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mellow .