Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Import fueling

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2004, 08:23 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me, does all jap imports need to be run on optimax or SUL with booster, wether its wrx, sti or any turbo.
Old 05 January 2004, 08:35 PM
brian.c
Scooby Regular

always run it on either optimax or super but i was told don't waste my money on octane booster
Old 05 January 2004, 08:36 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Yes you really should run it on optimax or SUL + booster. However, you ought to get it remapped to our fuel. You will also get a performance improvement. What year is your car?
Old 05 January 2004, 08:37 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

That advice is unsafe Brian. Unless you are running a KnockLink and know your engine is running safely on Super/Opti alone, you should add sufficient booster to bring the fuel up to 100RON level.
Old 05 January 2004, 09:00 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

The year is a 96 wrx sti
Old 05 January 2004, 09:15 PM
brian.c
Scooby Regular

cheers greasemonkey but thats what my mate was told from falkland performance,they stock it but will always tell their customers theres no need to use it as (the ecu adapts to uk ron)first i;ve heard of that myself.
Old 05 January 2004, 09:21 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Talking

Brian,

Have run my 98 v3 sti on NUL for the last 4 and a half years/40k miles. If I could get SUL or Optimax I'd use that but to date it still runs sweet as a nut - and I don't take it easy either.

Kevin.

Trending Topics

Old 05 January 2004, 10:05 PM
brian.c
Scooby Regular

Alright kevin,you read comments on scoobynet that unleaded is a no no,yet you,ve never had a problem ,make an interesting topic.my brother's told me that i wouldn't be doing my wrx any harm either but i wouldn't chance it .
Old 05 January 2004, 10:12 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

mat, your best bet is to get a ScoobyEcu. They're only £100
Old 05 January 2004, 10:41 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Alright kevin,you read comments on scoobynet that unleaded is a no no,yet you,ve never had a problem
He hasn't had a problem yet. One exception doesn't disprove the rule, and while Kevin's car may still be running, there are a fair few expensive sob stories around here to demonstrate that these cars aren't entirely happy on UK fuel alone.

At end of day, if you think it's an acceptable risk, go ahead and use whatever fuel you want. However, if the potential alternative is a two or three thousand pound repair bill, is a bit of penny pinching now really such a good idea?

The other thing to think about is that you're more likely to be able to sell the car at a reasonable price if you've taken care of it. Prospective JDM car buyers here are usually advised to look out for cars that are either fresh off the boat, have been remapped properly for our fuel, or run religiously on Opti plus booster. Conversely, if someone piped up here saying they were considering buying a JDM car that had been run for four years on 95 RON, I'd imagine many would suggest it was too risky a buy. Can be an important issue in the longer run...

[Edited by greasemonkey - 1/5/2004 10:46:36 PM]
Old 05 January 2004, 11:17 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Is The scooby ECU sent out mapped as standard or will I have to get somebody to do this for me.
Old 05 January 2004, 11:53 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Comes with the map on it, although, depending on where you buy it, you'll have a certain amount of choice as to exactly how it's mapped.
Old 06 January 2004, 08:08 PM
Rourkey
Scooby Regular

Some interesting points boys !

As we all know its not a great idea to run your prise scooby import on run of the mill unleaded, the bloke who previously had my car ran unleaded with booster when he couldnt make it to the only petrol station with super in his area, i always run the car on optimax as the octain rating is at its highest and it feel's smoother at that, wither it be import or uk i would never give it a good beasting with unleaded only and i have seen my self filling up with optimax and booster at the weekend just for good measure, never noticed a difference, they are already expencive enough to run with out buying booster aswell, i think it differ's from car to car what suits and what doesnt, some people recomend booster and some dont.

Personaly i have been running my 93 WRX with 95000 miles on super or optimax for the last 2 years, it's still on original everything run's as sweet as a nut 24/7 and it does get a sore time at time's belive me !

My advice is as i said before every car responds differently, what's good for you might not be for the next, just go out and see what you feel is best for your car just dont run unleaded only as there is sure to be a drop in power and your bank balance eventualy, i also recomend an uprated fuel pump as i have been told that the original part isnt the greatest.

Hearing more and more about these ScoobyEcu's as i have read on this thread too, would any of you boys know if this ECU is a straight swap for my ECU car as it is early and you cant plug into a lap top as you will know, i take it it is but not sure, any information a supplier or phone number would be a great help.

Cheers and all the best !
Old 07 January 2004, 02:40 AM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

well i ran my WRX 1995 on SUL/Optimax and no4 cylinder burned out with running lean.

Never used Octane booster, never had Knocklink plus it had a performance Jap ECU that I never knew = fcuked engine.

Had to rebuild it and it now runs a scoobyecu, with gauges and forged internals.
Old 07 January 2004, 05:11 PM
brian.c
Scooby Regular

where do you get the scoobyecu and what benefits will i get from one. mapped to run 97ron,more bhp?
Old 09 January 2004, 03:39 PM
giblet
Scooby Regular

Hmm - I could do with that info meself - caz1562 you got me worried now...