Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

UK 2001 Spec WRX down on power

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2001, 10:15 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After taking my new2001 wrx on a trip to Brussels it now has 1350 miles on the clock.
It was run in properly and serviced at around 850 miles so now has the proper oil in it (incidentally, Lancaster of Pangbourne recommended Esso Ultron 5w40).

It seems like it accelerates well up to 5700 rpm and then seems to lose power over this amount. At 6000 - 7000 rpm it feels like either the turbo loses boost in short bursts or the fuel pump is cutting in and out quickly.

I am thinking this could be because:

1. Somewhere in the ECU is it set to not let the engine get full boost until a certain mileage threshold is seen so as not to damage the engine too early.
2. There is a fuel supply problem.
3. There is a turbo problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I will be speaking to the dealer tomorrow so will post any info from them.

Cheers

Dave

[This message has been edited by druddle (edited 03 April 2001).]
Old 03 April 2001, 01:00 AM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dave ,

with the previous models (i.e. the old style)
it was generally accepted that the engines didnt loosen up till more than the 1000 miles.(actually more like 8000+)

The previous models engines also produced best figures around 5700-6000rpm so there was no point in being impatient and ripping the nuts off it....much past this.
(also boost causes fueling cut off around 17-18 Psi)
Mine on the last R/road day produced 249 bhp @6240 rpm (tho' i have de cat pipe and air intake mods)

Oh one more thing..... the newer cars are slower than models up to My00+(not My01 Mk2 shell)....sorry !

So...... I would try and continue with a more gentle breaking in
m.
Old 03 April 2001, 08:46 AM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Bladerunner,

Great to see a familiar name...Wakefield that is! I'm an exiled Wakey boy living in Kent..beer is flat, fish and chips expensive, but the birds are better looking!!

My MY01 wagon doesn't lose power at high rpm. Although I'm not caning the nuts off it at present, (1750 miles) it seems to have more push at high rpm than my previous MY00.

My experience with the last one is that they do need a sunstantial mileage under their belt before they break in. A dealer in Scotland told me that he had a 95 N on the forecourt with 75K that was standard but was now so loose that it would eat my 00 for breakfast. Think he was talking sh*t personally.

Cheers,

Rich
Old 03 April 2001, 08:30 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Well, more on this one.........

Been up to Milton Keynes and Warwick today so had alot of motorway miles at 80-85mph. It seemed like the more miles i did, the worse the problem gets. It got so bad that my mate in the passenger seat thought it even felt like a misfire. Will definitely speak to Lancaster in Pangbourne tomorrow, but i still am unsure what it could be. Naff air filter, broken fuel/air/turbo pipe somewhere.

The WRX even had a bit of trouble catching a 318i BMW on an uphill run !!!!!!!!!
Old 03 April 2001, 08:33 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Well, more on this one.........

Been up to Milton Keynes and Warwick today so had alot of motorway miles at 80-85mph. It seemed like the more miles i did, the worse the problem gets. It got so bad that my mate in the passenger seat thought it even felt like a misfire. Will definitely speak to Lancaster in Pangbourne tomorrow, but i still am unsure what it could be. Naff air filter, broken fuel/air/turbo pipe somewhere.

The WRX even had a bit of trouble catching a 318i BMW on an uphill run !!!!!!!!!
Old 04 April 2001, 12:23 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I was getting really sh1te fuel consumption so took my WRX in to ther dealers. Wow! Dont know what they did but its loads faster (now keep .9 bar boost in all gears (only .7-.8 before) and the fuel consumptions up 3mpg. Is there something they do to sort this with low mileage cars?

Not sure but it pulls harder from lower revs than before

Jza
Old 04 April 2001, 07:14 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Sounds like what mine is doing, possibly having turbo boost restricted. Its booked in to Lancaster on Tuesday.

How many miles did yours have on it when you took it in ?? How many miles were you getting to a tank (I use SUL) before it went in ?

Old 06 April 2001, 12:09 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

It ranged from 16.5 - 21.0 at best. On a long journey i got 23.25.

Just filled up for the first time after its been fixed - 24.5 (driven hard!)

It had done 2500 miles.

Cant believe the difference.

I did try SUL - it was better power but the costs !!!!!!!!!

Get it sorted - it seems to bring the boost back to 0.9 - so something must have been re-set!

Jza

Old 06 April 2001, 02:56 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

sorry for being thick but how big is the fuel tank - i cant find it anywhere!!

either that or how many miles did you get to a tank. i was getting 270 miles on steady motorway runs.

i use SUL as its on the company fuel card
Old 06 April 2001, 03:04 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

just found it - i am getting 22.5 - 23.5 on motorway runs and 16-17 on hard journeys !!
Old 06 April 2001, 04:15 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by druddle:
<B>just found it - i am getting 22.5 - 23.5 on motorway runs and 16-17 on hard journeys !![/quote]

Jeeezus, that the same as i was getting. It seems that theyve sorted it so definately ge the dealer to have a look. I got my car from Heritage in leicester so you could try them for info!!

Jza

Old 06 April 2001, 04:49 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to Heritage. Bloke tried to tell me it was turbo lag. When i told him it the fuel consumption i was getting he laughed and said that was normal. Its not what it says on the official Subaru website !!!!

I will wait till it goes into Lancaster in Reading next week and see what they say !

Old 07 April 2001, 08:23 PM
DarrenC
Scooby Regular

Dave,

It's good to see someone else from Berks with a new WRX.

I've just bought a 2001 WRX in WR Blue Mica, and firstly I must say it's the best car I have ever owned.
I'm quite new to Subaru's but having read your comments, I must agree. I mostly use mine on the motorway, and it's only just averaging 24mpg. I also bought mine from Lancaster Pangbourne and it's due it's 1000mile service next week. Please let me know what they say about the fuel, as it's killing me.
Finally, do you know of any meets around the Berks area, as I would love to meet up.

Cheers for now.
Darren
Old 07 April 2001, 08:35 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Darren

Same colour as mine !! Wikkid aint it !!

Was yours the one in the showroom ?? I took mine in for a 1000 miler last Friday (31st March) and there was one there sold.

Will let you know how i get on. Problem has been worse today on mine after trips to Dover down motorway !

Old 07 April 2001, 08:38 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Darren

Same colour as mine !! Wikkid aint it !!

Was yours the one in the showroom ?? I took mine in for a 1000 miler last Friday (31st March) and there was one there sold.

Will let you know how i get on. Problem has been worse today on mine after trips to Dover down motorway !

Old 07 April 2001, 08:47 PM
DarrenC
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dave,

Mine probably was the one in the showroom as I collected it about a week ago.

Got to say the car looks great in our colour, the best I think. (Only my opinion of course)

Good to know you are in the area, we will have to meet up, as mine is the only one in wr blue I have seen.

Stay in touch.
Darren
Old 09 April 2001, 09:53 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by druddle:
<B>Just spoke to Heritage. Bloke tried to tell me it was turbo lag
[/quote]

Sorry mate - ive got incredibly **** service off them - so i shouldnt have let you call them - i should have known theyd be useless!!! They DID play with the car and its running MUCH better. Hope your dealers better than my muppets.

Anyone thinking of buying anything off Heritage - id say that they are allegedly rubbish probably in my opinion (sorry webmaster - not slagging anyone off ok so dont close the thread!!). I think there are some excellent other dealers in the midlands that you may want to try first.

Jza
Old 09 April 2001, 07:32 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

add two more wrx's in wr blue to the Reading list, me and a mate have just picked ours up. 4dr him 5dr me. superb car- getting ppp as soon as prodrive are ready (within the month they say)

tiggs
Old 10 April 2001, 12:29 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I think this should be made known scooby-wide. webby, any chance of copying this thread over to the general questions board for a bigger airing?

Steve
Old 10 April 2001, 11:48 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Just spoken to dealer about the car and get this.

No faults found from the diags. The car was test driven and the faults i reported were seen by the technician. Subaru UK have issued a newsletter saying they know about the problem and say there is no fix to it. The problem was also seen on the old Impreza Turbos and was fixed with an ECU remapping.

Subaru UK say that there is no fix at the moment and there are no plans for a fix.

All the dealerships hands are tied by Subaru UK. This is totally unacceptable.

As soon as i get a copy of the technical newsletter from Subaru UK this afternoon then I will contact Subaru UK and see what they intend to do for all the MY01 WRX owners who have bought a faulty car.

THIS PROBLEM AFFECTS ALL MY01 CARS.

Dave

Old 10 April 2001, 02:07 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I will open a thread now. People need to know this !!
Old 10 April 2001, 09:59 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

My MY01 WRX has now done some 4k miles and up to about 3k miles, it was VERY stuffy over about 5.5k RPM. But now runs right up to the cut out smoothly. Though still somehow feels a little tight. Must agree with all the previous comments, that about 7/8k miles is about what it takes to fully loosen up (well the other two cars were about the same). I have also found over about 80k Scooby miles, that about 25/26 MPG is about the best you'll get in mixed driving.

Like the new car... but the handling is now so good, that it feels like it would easily take annother 30BHP to bring anything like the best out of it. Be interested to see if next years model carries any extra power!

Hope you get your problems sorted.
Old 11 April 2001, 10:00 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mike Owen:
<B>Hi all,

My MY01 WRX has now done some 4k miles and up to about 3k miles, it was VERY stuffy over about 5.5k RPM.

Hope you get your problems sorted.[/quote]

I agree - maybe what my garage did and a combination of the loosening of the engine have helped the MPG. Thankfully i dont get the hesitation, but im gonna play hell if they know about it and wont fix it.

As an aside, i test drove a P1. If you lifted off the throttle quickly at high revs, it seemed to misfire and felt like the engine had cut out for a while!! It was like banging the breaks on. Maybe even Prodrive cant get it right 100% of the time.

Anyone having the problem whos fitted a full exhaust?

Jza
Old 13 April 2001, 08:24 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Full S/S exhaust and total de cat on my 01 and 26mpg on motorway and 23 hard cross country. Sorry.