Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STi 4 ECU options

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 04:02 PM
ACA
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, I've been reading the archives about ECU upgrades, knocking, detonation, etc etc... AND HAVE A MASSIVE HEADACHE!

It seems as though the plot is constantly changing, I thought that Power Engineering's re-map was the best option when I last looked into this minefield. That was about a year ago I suppose, but I have read horror stories of engines going pop, so I'm no longer convinced that PE know what they're doing.

Basically my question is:

Which is the most cost effective option for re-mapping an STi 4 so that it runs on 97 or 95 fuel without knocking, detonation etc? Of course, I don't want to lose performance, but will suffer that if needs be to protect the engine.

At the moment the car gets no track use, and is used mostly for 'normal' road driving, i.e. not particularly hard, and certainly not red-lined or even much full throttle action (it's Dad's car really and I'm not driving it anymore ). I thought I could hear detonation / pinking when I used to drive it (hard), especially as the turbo came on boost.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I know some of you will be bored to tears with these sort of questions...

[This message has been edited by ACA (edited 09 April 2001).]
Old 09 April 2001, 05:27 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

ACA, see my thread under general forum in the last couple of days titled 'Powerstation/unichip/bsm-a personal experience'. This is of course just one of the ways that is possible.
Old 09 April 2001, 07:53 PM
ACA
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Deep,

That was excellent timing! And what a coincidence, my car is exactly the same as yours, it's a Type-R also.

How much did that lot cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

I used to read this forum a lot but haven't really used it for a year or so, I will have to familiarise myself with the BSM, sounds good. Does it make the car easier to oversteer, ie less 'snappy'? That would be a welcome change!

What sort of power output do you get, what fuel do you use, and what mpg do you get?

Cheers mate.
Old 11 April 2001, 07:52 AM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

I also haven't visited this section of the BBS for a while. I had the distinct impression that there were so many different opinions on a lot of different upgrades that it was going to be difficult to make an informed decision.

I've got a Sti V4 (4 door) and will be watching this thread with interest.

regards, Mark.