Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Does your full SS Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2001, 08:00 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I had a full SS system fitted about 2 months ago and when you have been driving hard fumes can be smelt in the cabin when you come to a halt.

I have since changed to the magnex centre pipe and this has reduced although is still there.

I have noticed that the downpipe to centre pipe connection is bolted straight on with no gasket in the ball type joint and no springs over the bolts as in the OEM.

Sometimes it sounds as though it is blowing under hard acceleration from this area.

Anyone with similar experience please help as I soon have a new baby travelling in the car and am obviously slightly concerned.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Old 03 April 2001, 08:05 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

When you say smell - do you mean as per the smell coming out of the back of the exhaust?
IMHO
If this is the case there is a problem the exhaust should be gas tight from the head to the end of the tailpipe. you should not be getting any exhaust fumes inside the car - this is not good, not as bad as in the leaded days but still not good.

New exhausts do tend to smell a bit of grease, sealant, burning sticky labels, etc. but this should go off after a few hundred miles or so.

Also an MOT failure i believe.

sounds like it wants sorting by whoever fitted it or get an independant assesment

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 03 April 2001).]
Old 03 April 2001, 08:18 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Thanks - will be getting it checked and it does seem to be the exhaust smell.

Anyone know original downpipe/centre joint detail - gasket here?

Cheers
Paul
Old 03 April 2001, 09:58 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PGMabley:
<B>Thanks - will be getting it checked and it does seem to be the exhaust smell.

Anyone know original downpipe/centre joint detail - gasket here?

Cheers
Paul[/quote]

Where did you get it fitted? have they fit the SS system before?

I have a full SS system, it's the dog's m8! really is.

I think you have a leak/mounting problem from the Turbo join or the CS joint to DP.

I had the System fitted at SS, not sure if they applied ready gasket, I would imagine they would.

Do a test DIY, or just take it to where you got it fitted.

The test, get someone to look under the car, area close to downpipe join sections, they need to listen for more buffling sounds / air when you cover the tailpipe exit with hand (watch out it maybe hot, do it when cold)this should force back pressure. This will confirm the leak and roughly where if you can't tell already.

good luck

TC

Old 04 April 2001, 07:50 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PGMabley:
<B>I have noticed that the downpipe to centre pipe connection is bolted straight on with no gasket in the ball type joint and no springs over the bolts as in the OEM.[/quote]

Metal surfaces cannot form a leak proof joint when used back to back in a flanged arrangement(unless they are used in high pressure process pipework). A gasket should be fitted and I maintain a fibre or composite gasket is better than these mastic-y type ones. I know very little about exhausts but quite a bit about pipework and as always, stand to be corrected.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Sherwen (edited 04 April 2001).]
Old 05 April 2001, 10:19 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

hi
i fitted a full ss system myself and used the gasket between the downpipe/mid section, no probs , no smells
mark
Old 05 April 2001, 10:51 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Never heard of a ScoobySport exhaust owner complaining of this before, so I suspect you haven't got a proper seal. If there was a crack in the pipe, I'd expect you to be able to hear it.

Fumes in the cockpit are bad news. If the leak is between the downpipe & center pipe, then the gases should be post-cat, but too much CO2 can still knock you out. I would suggest driving with the windows open until you get it fixed.
Old 05 April 2001, 01:44 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

The joints in the Impreza exhaust are designed to be dry. The joint between backbox and centre section uses a fibrous gasket referred to as an "olive" in the Magnex documentation and should be bolted together firmly.

The joint between the downpipe and the centre section is designed to be flexible, hence the gasketless "ball" type joint and the spring bolts on the standard system. When I fitted a Magnex centre section to my standard downpipe it was bl**dy fiddly getting the spring bolts back in, but I managed it. As your downpipe/centre section joint has been assembled without the springs I would investigate this area first as a possible cause of the leak. Not sure if abandoning the springs is standard practice - could you ask Scoobysport for an opinion?

Hope you get it sorted - sounds nasty!

Andrew.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Dixon (edited 05 April 2001).]
Old 05 April 2001, 06:22 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

As Andy says - the joint from DP to centre section should hagve a 'cone' shaped gasket in it, with springs on the bolts, to allow for a small amount of flex.
If its been bolted tight without the springs its probably ruined the cone gasket and could well be blowing - that'll be £30 to replace. Don't tighten the spring bolts right up, that defeats the object of them.
Old 06 April 2001, 07:58 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Problem now appears to be sorted - a new gasket has been fitted after speaking to Pete Croney (cheers Pete for your help - I will e-mail you separately).

Thanks for all help

Cheers
Paul