Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Alternative to Piston Change?

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2001, 09:46 PM
GrahamF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there have been loads of threads concerning the famous piston slap and agruements about piston change vs engine change. However, if piston change is the only offer, I assume that Subaru change the piston and nothing else, ie no replacement of any other worn parts they found. If the car has already done a high mileage (mine had done 75K before piston slap set in) there is a dubious advantage in having the engine out, stripped, and back in again. I think it was Pete Croney who once queried whether it might be better to leave it. The question is, has anyone any long-term experience of the effect if left? Does the offending piston eventually fail? Does the 'ticking' go on longer and longer 'til it becomes obtrusive when hot? Anyone any idea?

Graham
Old 05 April 2001, 01:45 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Oooh. Just replied to a similar topic to this.

Graham. I have heard that replacing the piston is not the be all and end all cure (but like I said in the other post "I could be wrong") and that a short motor is the only real cure.

I have ALSO heard that Subaru have pretty much "run out" of short motor spares because of the problem. Maybe this is another reason why they have now opted to only change the offending piston.

Seems a bit unfair when so many people have already received new short motors