Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY00 and PPP ECU reset?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2001, 06:10 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know the standard MY00 ECU does'nt need a reset to make use of higher octane fuel/adjust parameters, but is the PPP ECU in the same vein.

Will adding millers+SUL for a couple of tank fulls make the PPP ECU adjust to make use of the higher octane or do I need to reset as well?
Old 03 April 2001, 11:30 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Neil, SUL plus Millers is the cheapest engine upgrade you can get, and it doesn't need an ECU reset with the UK99/00 PPP. After a few miles of mixed flat-out driving the ECU will have sorted itself.

I have PPP on my UK00 and done quite a few back to back tests with 95RON and 97RON+Millers=99RON, using a stop watch. I guestimate 10-15bhp increase, which I'd love to put to the test on a dyno some time.

I've just bought a Performance Meter from Race Technology and am looking forward to trying a few things with that. I'll post the results when I've got some data.

Richard.
Old 04 April 2001, 12:01 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I've just fitted a knocklink after being worried about det on a ppp'ed car recently fitted with a new d/p that had overboost problems. I temporarily fixed this by using an old STi backbox (more restriction!).

So far I've seen no det after a reset, I'm refitting the PPP backbox tonight for a final test - I'm interested whether overboost also brings detonation.

Certainly STi owners should be careful due the 100ron issue.

The MRT site is correct, but I find almost as soon as I pull away the check engine light starts flashing correctly. I just drive it a km anyway before diconnecting the connectors.

Also note; your car is limited to .5 bar boost in this mode - don't cane it until you've removed the connectors

Richard
Old 04 April 2001, 07:20 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I've reset the ecu monthly on both an old my99, and my current my00 PPP.

It always increases pick-up across the rev range.

I think that while the car learns quite quickly it must also adapt to your driving style to a certain extent; only 20% of my driving is for fun, the rest is autobahn and city driving.

So the ecu will optimise parameters for that split of driving - imho

Easy to do once you're used to it as well - I can now reach under the dash without looking (my00 has different sized green and black connectors - thanks Subaru! ).

Richard
Old 04 April 2001, 09:32 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Dowser, you make an interesting point which I'd like to investigate. While I've proved that the ECU adapts very quickly to new fuel, your comment about it subsequently learning 'everyday driving' settings sounds possible. Anyone any comments?

Can you tell me how you do the reset? I seem to recall you, or perhaps someone else posted about disconnecting leads under the dash. Sorry I didn't pay more attention. Can you explain?

Many thanks,

Richard
Old 04 April 2001, 10:44 AM
samuel
Scooby Newbie

Hello Richard

Here is the MRT site with instructions on how to do the reset.
Old 04 April 2001, 11:36 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Sam, that's great. Very clear. Thanks.

Richard.
Old 04 April 2001, 08:37 PM
GTJ
Scooby Regular

Dowser,

do you think that the reset-mode is useful to restrict the power (0.5 bar) when my car is in the workshop (non Subaru)?
I can remember that my car was delivered at the dealer in this rest mode. The dealer told me that this was done to save the sparks from overfueling due the many cold starts.

Gert-Jan
(PS Thus your car has any boost-cuts after mounting the downpipe?)
Old 05 April 2001, 06:09 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi Gert

I'd geuss the workshop would think there's something wrong and quote you for a new turbo!

Don't see how restricting boost to a set level can have an affect to cold start fuelling?!

Yep - I get occasional boost cut with PPP and SS d/p. But I seem to have slightly higher boost than normal anyway (1.15bar held / 1.35 peak) - of more concern is that the peak boost value lasts for almost a second before being reined in by the feedback loop.

But....no det so far (I recently fitted knocklink)

One thing that really amazes me is the difference a decent backbox can make to the PPP; I'd refitted an OE STi box while waiting for the knocklink - refitting the Prodrive one last night gave a huge increase in performance

Richard