Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Downpipe for a Magnex system.

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2001, 09:10 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I have a Magnex centre section and back box fitted to a MY96 (bigger turbo!) and am considdering replacing the downpipe. I went out in Topcat's this weekend and decided to extend my tuning budget

Question is this, what will fit onto the system I have? I read the Power Engineering page and am assuming their downpipe will fit, but apart from that is anyone elso in the same boat? Oh, and I dont care about the law...

Mark.
Old 28 March 2001, 02:38 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mark,

You went out with Moe, and you didn't empty your trousers!!??!! You must drive fast!!!

I personally would go for the ScoobySport downpipe, it depends on what other tuning you plan in the future, but you may notice that the Magnex you've got is more restrictive!

I know Moe was running the SS downpipe, along with a Magnex straight through centre and the Magnex oval backbox.

He changed it for a full ScoobySport system, and thinks he noticed an improvement! (Sorry Moe, didn't mean to make you send all that money!!! )

I've got the ScoobySport downpipe and backbox, with the Magnex centre with a resonator. I feel this gives me both performance and a quieter car!

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 28 March 2001, 07:03 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Mark,
I'll see you on the Studland road - we'll have to teach these London boys how to drive Tee Hee

Glen
Old 28 March 2001, 08:11 AM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mark,

I have a Scorpion downpipe fitted to a magnex system, great performance and sound .
The Scorpion is also quiet cheap, I paid about 90 for mine.

Thanks

Sonu
Old 28 March 2001, 08:50 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi All,

I'll be interested to see what crops up here cause I'm in the same boat as you Mark, (we keep bumping into each other on here don't we) mine's a 96 UK with magnex back and middle. I'm looking for a decent downpipe too, but one thing bothers me.

I know the die hard petrol heads will tell me to stop being such a tart, but I've heard that it's £90 labour to swap a downpipe, that's £180 every year for your MOT to get the cat back on and off again. Call me stingy but that's a bit steep. Plus if Dibble pulls you over they can make you swap it back I'm told. (another £180)

Has anyone any experience of the Graham Goode downpipe? This has a sports cat, so no removal problems but it is £399.99 + vat which is a lot more than the SS system.

Incidentally, Mark have you removed the resonator box from your air intake yet?
If not, DO IT! I took it off mine on Saturday, took half an hour and it sounds the dog's b*ll*cks!(lots of intake whoosh and you can hear the dump valve more) plus it seems to give slightly better pickup at low revs.

Rich
Old 28 March 2001, 09:45 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Moe,

My tuning budget has gone up and its all your fault mate. That scoob is f***ing quick! Nearly done with the BG, just got to find the t-piece from somewhere. You putting those pics on here then? Oh, and i've paid the copper off!

Andy,

Couldn't believe the speed and sound of the Cat! It's a real head turner, we scared some kids with the dump valve!

Glen,

Yep Topcat would love the studland road. For those of you who don't know Glen, I crapped it when he took me out!!

Rich,

Haven't done the airbox yet but planning to fit a DV. If you can find someone cheap to do the downpipe i.e £20-£30 its got to be worth it.

Sonu,

Cheers, will look into it. Im thinking about the Magnex downpipe @ £170...

Mark.
Old 28 March 2001, 10:49 AM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Hi

I had a HKS dp fitted to my 95 WRX yesterday along with a Helix clutch, and there is a deff. improvement. I already have Magnex back & middle + Pipercross Indu. Kit .

You can really hear the turbo spin up now.

Lose the catted downpipe ASAP... !

It sounded Great through the Blackwall Tunnel last night, where as before you couldn't really hear it..

James
Old 28 March 2001, 11:18 AM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

Careful you have a copper across the road!..
have you fit the BG yet?

mmmmmm.Not sure about the meet in poole..I will wait until we get the heatwave...then I will need water inject'd done to the car.

Most DP will fit the Magnex, even the SS DP, I know the PE one will.

You know your car will get quicker..man that back lane.

For you guys who don't know Mark, he can drive! Fasssssstt!

TC
Old 28 March 2001, 12:10 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

James,

Where did you get your HKS downpipe from?
How much? if you don't mind me asking.

What were you charged for fitting?

cheers

Rich

Old 28 March 2001, 01:06 PM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

i don't know how much it was! as i had the clutch and dp done at the same time as well as a few other bits. The whole lot came to £500.

I think it's about £140(?). i think Graham(GDA) normally charges about £60 (2 hours labour) to fit a dp!

If you like you can call him on 01892664212. He's based in Crowbrough in Kent....

J
Old 28 March 2001, 04:10 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andy Tang:
<B>Mark,

You went out with Moe, and you didn't empty your trousers!!??!! You must drive fast!!!

I personally would go for the ScoobySport downpipe, it depends on what other tuning you plan in the future, but you may notice that the Magnex you've got is more restrictive!

I know Moe was running the SS downpipe, along with a Magnex straight through centre and the Magnex oval backbox.

He changed it for a full ScoobySport system, and thinks he noticed an improvement! (Sorry Moe, didn't mean to make you send all that money!!! )

I've got the ScoobySport downpipe and backbox, with the Magnex centre with a resonator. I feel this gives me both performance and a quieter car!

Hope this helps
Andy[/quote]

Andy= I still owe you a drive now I have had almost everything sorted

Mark= yeah spend money but spend it right, and I now you are already doing this.

Guys, I was so pleased when mark had taken me out for a drive in his white widow. The car is almost 100k miles and it drives very well. I hope mine can do that in another 60k miles time.

Glen= You sound like a true scooby nutter, look forward to hooking up on day.

See yeah and Mark take it easy m8 in the beast of yours

Regards

TC (MOE)
Old 28 March 2001, 05:05 PM
LES H'
Scooby Regular

Cool

Try graham goode racing at
Old 28 March 2001, 05:46 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thought of TSL,
very nice chaps and can supply grp A/N or scoobysport stuff why not give them a call?
Old 28 March 2001, 09:04 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
So a few others enjoy the road from Studland to Corfe do they, I know I do.

Ron
Glen, sorry about changin the time on sat, you can't please all the people all the time can you?
Old 28 March 2001, 09:13 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Question

Ron,

I think some time trials are in order?!

Glen and I had a chat earlier regarding the downpipe options as we both went Magnex at the same time. What are the issues with the lambda sensor on the original catted downpipe?
If I order a SS or other, i'll be getting a local motorsport company to fit it (Nicson 01202 680337 - free plug ) so wondering what the issues are. TC / Andy, any ideas?

Mark.
Old 28 March 2001, 09:28 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Mark,
Not sure about the time trials, I'm sure to be the slowest, cos I like my car too much, I'd be interseted to see what d/p route you take cos I'm thinking of getting one myself, probably the SS one, cos I've got the bb to match.
The best bit of that road is where the double bend is on a crest, you can just about get airborn on each corner if you're a bit of a loon, I used to love it in my old Mini, only thing is you weren't doing quite the same speed.
See ya sat
Ron
Old 28 March 2001, 10:19 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bennetm:
<B>Ron,

I think some time trials are in order?!

Glen and I had a chat earlier regarding the downpipe options as we both went Magnex at the same time. What are the issues with the lambda sensor on the original catted downpipe?
If I order a SS or other, i'll be getting a local motorsport company to fit it (Nicson 01202 680337 - free plug ) so wondering what the issues are. TC / Andy, any ideas?

Mark.[/quote]

Mark don't worry about the sensor if the down pipe is really for a scoob than the one you already have will go direct into the DP that you are getting.

Scooby sport charge 37 per hour to fit and it took hour and half to fit.

They need the car ramped up, remove intercooler and heat shield and be ready to handle any bolts that break off when removing the heat shield, also the shield will need to be ground back to fit the much larger DP, make sure this is down right and tight so no future clatter from the shield. All the hoses and the intercooler one has to be put back on tight as it was or you will notice boost loss.

Hope this helps m8

Moe
Old 29 March 2001, 04:43 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Smile

IMHO Scorpion downpipe is by far the best sounding , by miles. Performance, i dont think theres a lot in it between the usual Scoobysport, Magnex, HKS etc.....

Get loads of crackles, pops, bangs and farts with the Scorpion

Oh, and theres no need to re-fit the heat shields when replaceing the downpipe. The heatshields are there to protect from the extreme heat that the cat in the oe downpipe produces.

Hope this helps

Paul
Old 29 March 2001, 05:04 AM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Question

Guys,

when it comes to MOT time, I thought you could get away with putting the standard centre pipe on? I believe UK Scoobs have a CAT on the centre. Anyway, I'll find out next Jan

Thanks

Sonu
Old 29 March 2001, 07:07 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

I believe originally there is one on the centre pipe (small) and main one on the downpipe. You can pass the MOT with the DP one and the centre removed but not the other way round.

The P1, I think just has the DP one...

TC, get those pics on here!!!

Mark.

[This message has been edited by bennetm (edited 29 March 2001).]
Old 29 March 2001, 08:13 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ron,
Yep, you're right, all wheels off the deck , I have to say that it's all a bit more controlled in the scooby against my old mk 2 rs 2000 (group 1 motor lsd, etc)but it is certainly a great stretch of road.

Mark,
I have read elsewhere that the car may pass the emmisions test with the centre cat only as long as the car is good and hot.

Cheers lads

Glen