Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dilemma: Downpipes and ECU's

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2001, 01:24 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been reading with interest the posts by Deep Singh (Unichip experience) and Christian R (which downpipe) as I am thinking of having these mods done.

For some time I have wanted a downpipe fitted but have been put off by the potenetial noise increase.
But I have also decided that I am going to have the Powerstation bump steer correction done and thought that while I was making the pilgrimage there I would have a Unichip fitted, as they have recieved good reviews (and the budget is right).

Dilemma is, if I did cave in and go for a downpipe, I should do it before the Powerstation work to avoid the necessary re-map, but what should I go for.

There seems to be a case for BPM against Scoobysport (easiest for me) on a performance front, but I would sacrifice that small advantage for less volume.

Does anyone in the Essex\East London area happen to have an STi with a downpipe\SS backbox setup that I could compare?

I'm currently thinking SS D/P, standard centre section and Unichip.

Comments and suggestions and any personal experience welcome.

Neil.
Old 05 March 2001, 01:33 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Neil,

Although not the same car, I have had this experience:

MY97 UK car with ScoobySport downpipe, ScoobySport backbox and standard mid-section.

MY99 UK car with ScoobySport downpipe, ScoobySport backbox and Magnex mid-section (with resonator).

My current car (the MY99) is quieter than the older car running with the standard centre!!!

It was noticable louder from inside and outside the car! And from various people who have heard both cars!

Looks like you may as well go for a full de-cat system!!! I also think that Pete@ScoobySport can arrange for quieter backboxes to made if that's an issue. May also be worth having a word with him to see if he could get a centre with a resonator.

And yes the full Scoobysport (standard)system, is much louder than my car!!!

Andy
Old 05 March 2001, 01:46 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Have gone from an SS downpipe to BPM.

I don't think theres much, if any difference in noise between the 2.
Old 05 March 2001, 01:58 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which one is louder?
Old 05 March 2001, 02:13 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Craig being the owner of the car is probably the best person to ask.

Although from the cars I've heard, the BPM system was a bit louder than the full ScoobySport system.

If you want loud, isn't the full HKS (loud on the outside, although very quiet inside) or Apexi systems louder???

Call me old before my time, but I'm happy with the performance from my quiet exhaust!!

That said, people know when I turn up!! It's a personal thing, if you want to be discreet, then keep the standard system!!!

Andy
Old 05 March 2001, 02:24 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which is the louder downpipe to be more precise
Old 05 March 2001, 02:32 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth, I'm not so bothered about outside volume, more keeping the cabin environment bearable.
I understand that you can have the D/P wrapped, which is good for noise insulation and performance so that may go some way to help.
So the Magnex with resonator C/C seems quieter in your experience? How much do they cost?
Incidentally, I already had the quieter backbox made........

Oh and another thing, how easy are the D/P and/or the C/C to change?

Neil.
Old 05 March 2001, 02:40 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Smile

The C/C is very east to replace, 4 bolts (2 each end) - a lesiurely half hour job.

The D/P is more difficult (I haven't attempted it yet) the bolts in the engine bay can be extreamly stubborn I've been told.

Hope this helps

Justin
Old 05 March 2001, 05:10 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Neil,I have an STi4 with SS DP and standard remainder.Car is fairly quiet,but definately louder than withoout.I did about 3 months ago buy a HKS SuperDrager(mid and back) but took it off after about a month because the noise was too much for me(inside the car)Hope thats of some use.Deep.
Old 06 March 2001, 11:36 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Christian,

Like I said, I don't think there is much, if any difference in volume. The BPM system is louder, but not the downpipe.
Old 06 March 2001, 01:41 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

regardless of volume, the drivability increase as a result of fitting the downpipe will bring a huge smile to your face.

I have had full ss systems on booth imprezas, and although I think I ma about to go for a bpm downpipe, this is only in my quest for a few more lbft.

the noise is pleasant inside the car, but you will find yourself hunting for tnnels with the windows down, because the sound is great. the turbo will spin up quicker too.

I am convinced that most people believe they are seeing more benefit becasue they are hearing more noise, but either way you will be v happy.

You can always go for the uni chip afterwards, but I would always advise breathing mods on a forced induction car before going for remaps.
Old 06 March 2001, 04:36 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

What breathing mods do you recommend Adam?

Noisy dump valves and unnecessary induction noise don't interest me as I have to do a bit of motorway cruising from time to time and you need some comfort for that.
I also have a girlfriend who has no interest in cars or throaty roars from the back end.
She doesn't like loud exhausts either.....

I'm also, to be honest, nervous about any mod that compromises reliability too much (not saying that breathing mods do, just in general).
So often people spend their pounds on a new product, raving about it's virtues and enhanced performance, only to post 3 months later saying that they're running lean, getting det, overboost or some other term that I don't understand.
That's why in 18 months of scooby ownership I've only subscribed to SS backbox, ITG panel filter and Eibach springs.

But I'm always willing to listen to reason....

Neil.