Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Just ANOTHER quick question,and free gift

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2001, 03:43 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a HKS Superdrager (mid and backbox) 3 months ago,took it off a month later because noise(inside cabin) was too loud for me.Now I'm having a Unichip or Link in the next few weeks and obviously I know I'll get much better results from this with a decent exhaust.So,the question is, are any of the other exhausts(ie SS) quieter than the HKS.I am only concerned with noise inside the car as I d'ont care about the neighbours!Please note SS downpipe in situ.
O.K now the bit you've actually clicked on for.I have a K and N trumpet induction kit (which I took off my MY99UK when I sold it )which has only seen about 1000 miles.It cost me £220 from Graham Goode.I will give it away for free to anybody who wants it.Preference given to anyone who might arrange for me to listen to their exhaust(if they think it is quieter than HKS).And no before you ask I will not deliver it you cheeky sods. Deep.
Old 04 March 2001, 07:37 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a full Scoobysport system. It is less boomy (inside the cabin) than the HKS system which it replaced. I cant arange for you to listen to my car as I live up north. However if you want I could drive around the block with the mobile on so you could listen

If I sort out the delivery can I have the K&N

mail me if you want to listen over the phone

Cheers

Yee
Old 04 March 2001, 08:52 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Yee, by full system do you mean SS DP,decatted standard centre section,and SS backbox.
Old 04 March 2001, 09:06 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Hi All!

OK, the HKS system is a little loud, agreed :-) But it can be calmed down a bit by playing around with the map... if the fuelling is spot on and the ignition timing is pretty much bang on MBT, the it becomes a little quieter... to give you an idea, 4000 RPM in top, cruising down the motorway, it's very difficult to hear the exhaust on my car (Scoobysport), but it has also been described as one of the loudest Scoobs around due to the dustbin lid turbo LOL :-) What a difference a few degrees advance can make! At about 0.7 bar vacuum and around 2000 RPM you would swear that the engine was not running, it's impossible to hear! Give it a bootful, and you know about it though

Oh, 'tis also worth mentioning that Scoobysport will also be able to do you a back box with a finer mesh, this tends to damp the noise even more, but does not affect performance, it's still a very free flowing system.

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 04 March 2001, 09:25 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Hello Deep S,

I live in West London, and have a SS down pipe Magnex centre(straight through) and Magnex Back box (6x4" Oval) Bought in Jan 2001,

You could listen to the sound, and by the way I want a louder system I would be interested in your maybe we could do a deal(swap)

TC
Old 04 March 2001, 09:30 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Deep

Yup, I have the full straight through system. People say that as it is made of stainless steel that it will be boomier than a mild steel system (the wall of the pipe is thinner I believe). But as I said it is quieter inside the car then the HKS system. Outside I would say it gives a deeper sound at the lower end of the rev range, more of a burble (great inside multi-storey car parks ) and it probably screams just as much out side at higher revs.

As Pat said SS could do you a pipe with a finer mesh in back box to help dampen down the noise and I also believe you can get the centre section with a resonator in it. My car does not have this and is just fine even on the long motorway trips.

Also worth noting that I have a WRX import, which is not under sealed like your UK car, so your car will be quieter than mine and I think mine is fine so.....

All I can say is that you won't be unhappy with a SS system on your car. It will give it a great sound without being too intrusive inside the car. If you want to give me a ring to listen then let me know.

Now then about that K&N............

Yee
Old 04 March 2001, 09:35 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Deep, check your mail.

Dan