Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

air filter & exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2001, 07:17 PM
RobA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

i am thinking of buying a blitz air filter are they the best one? also are they easy to fit as i would rather do it myself & where is the best place to get one? also exhausts is there a lot of difference between HKS,PE & SS systems, what difference will it make if i remove the cat, do i need to get all the parts from one manufacter?
Old 06 February 2001, 10:15 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob, Just a quick message!.D'ont waste your money on an induction kit.I've tried a variety of induction kits on a variety of scoobies both UK and jap(ask me for full details if you're intrested) and I d'ont honestly think they make an iota of difference in BHP/torque.Some salesman say that it increases'throttle response'but that's not true in my experience either.Save your money and put the money towards buying the best exhaust you can, because that really can make a difference.If you still decide to buy one contact me because I have a HKS SuperPowerflow and a K&N kit that I would be happy to sell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07 February 2001, 11:40 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

DS

With posts like that, you should be a saleman

Rob, if you choose to change one part of the system, you are likely to see only a limited improvement. Personally I run a Magnex b/b and decat centre with an HKS induction system. The combination has certainly improved throttle response, but I doubt if there is much more power (never been rolling road tested). I also know that if I wanted to see a really noticable improvement, I would need to change the downpipe. So, if you are going to fit a full exhaust system I would consider replacing the standard air filter. Just replacing the standard filter in isolation will, as DS has said, produce barely noticable improvemnts (more noise though).

As regards Blitz, there have been mixed results with these, as the cone is a fine wire mesh, as opposed to a foam / paper filter, it does not have the same filtration level as say HKS or Piper X etc. From a personal point of view I use the HKS green cone which has been excellent.

Cheers

Chris
Old 08 February 2001, 12:30 AM
david
Scooby Regular

RobA,

I've got a Blitz induction kit for sale. Mail me if your interested.

Dave
Old 08 February 2001, 12:53 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The induction kit on my UK MY98 has made a large difference when it come to throttle response and holding boost in the higher rev ranges, also with the PPP ECU fitted and the back box and decat center section. The noise is nice to, so is the improvement in the fuel economy.

Darren.
Old 08 February 2001, 09:25 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Sorry, disagree

Removing the resonator & fitting an ITG panel on an otherwise standard my99 made a large difference to throttle response.

So unless the theory that a full induction kit cancels it's own benefits by drawing in hot air from the engine bay, I'd be surprised if you didn't get the same.....

Tschüss
Richard
Old 08 February 2001, 11:31 AM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

I have a K+N panel filter which in my view improved responce. But the biggest improvement without doubt was after changing the standard exhaust to a Hyper stainless system. Graham wrx.
Old 08 February 2001, 04:17 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Slightly badly worded response. I agree there would be some improvement in throttle reponse by just replacing the air filter. It is the supposed power increase that I question.

Chris
Old 08 February 2001, 08:14 PM
RobA
Scooby Regular

thanks for the help it has been most useful
rob
Old 10 February 2001, 02:56 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

There is no question that a decent induction kit gives more power and better throttle response. Heat sink isn't a problem with most when you're on the move.
Oh, and I've got a K&N in case you wondered.

Stef.