Emmisions

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2001, 05:06 PM
Spatch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Bit of an anorak question this!

I had my scooby MOT'd the other day, when I picked it up I had a look at the emissions result print out and I was quite surprised. The limit for CO was 0.3% and the limit for HC was 200ppm. Mine passed with 0.0% and 10ppm respectively.

I have got a standard two CAT system, but I am thinking of replacing the downpipe for a straight through type loosing the CAT (and keeping the rest of the system as it is). Since my MOT emissions were way below the limit of fail, I am hoping that even with the front CAT removed it will still pass.

The question is "does anyone know, or had the experience, of roughly how much of an increase (examples of figures?) in emissions there is when just the front CAT is taken off?
Old 29 January 2001, 12:36 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

Erm Dukas I beleive just replacing the downpipe will give an even more noticable gain than just replacing the centre cat.

Spatch now that the search function is back go through the archives, I don't think theres many figures available but the general feeling is that your car will get through the emissions test with just the centre cat, as long as you get it nice and warm beforehand.

The centre section is extreamly easy to replace yourself, just 4 bolts and half an hour of your time. So decat the whole thing and put the centre cat in just before the next MOT. Go on, you know you want to!

Justin
Old 29 January 2001, 11:23 AM
Dukas
Scooby Regular

Can't tell the figures (I took both out) but if you want to get rid of just one CAT take the central section one and keep the front one. It will be MUCH cheaper and the drivability change will be MUCH noticeable.
Old 29 January 2001, 10:01 PM
Spatch
Scooby Regular

Justin,

You are quite right, I do want to, only thing is, funds a bit tight at moment, so it will have to be dp first I think. Then maybe the centre.

Back to doing the lottery!
Old 29 January 2001, 10:15 PM
tommy m
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry to change the subject,but i can't remember where i read something saying a car with a full de-cat system would run leen without a ecu re-map!!.Does anybody know as i have already fitted de-cat centre and s/sport backbox and would like the downpipe. asap!thanks .
Old 30 January 2001, 08:05 PM
Spatch
Scooby Regular

Tommy

Sorry, can't remember. Have you tried the search function that is now working again.

How have you found the semi de-catted system??? Good??